Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:57 PM   #31

With the speed of the slide, 1/500 is not fast enough. I would have shot it at 1600iso, at f7.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
OK, last major issue (I think )
I was trying to get pictures of people coming down the water slides...I tried everything! In this one, I am using shutter priority set to 1/500. The lens is at 55 mm I think (didn't have my zoom lens with me). I prefocused on the side of the slide. Still blurry. Tried auto focus, full Auto mode, higher shutter speeds, etc...still blurry. Camera motion, maybe? I don't think I got a single great picture in this situation.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Here is an unedited shot of a gull I took with the kit long zoom lens 55-250. Unedited and uncropped.
OK, yours had the same edge effect if I cropped it down, so I think that's what that is coming from. My picture is not cropped, that gull was VERY close!
I still think the Nikon one is sharper than both of ours...
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:06 PM   #33

I have zoom into your sister shot, the edges are really blur compare to your shot. Seem t be a bit of motion blur.

Quote:
That was my point: it was in Auto mode and it did that on its own. I definitely wasn't trying to get blur; nor did I choose 1/6 sec. Why it would do that is beyond me!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:13 PM   #34

Quote:
With the speed of the slide, 1/500 is not fast enough. I would have shot it at 1600iso, at f7.1
1600 ISO? I guess I was thinking it was bright, shouldn't need that high of an ISO. I think I did try faster shutter speeds, but maybe the aperture wouldn't go wide enough.

I used 3200 ISO for fireworks photos, and forgot to turn it off that setting for the next day, and of course they were quite noisy. That's a whole 'nother discussion (about the fireworks) but that's definitely "user error." I tried using the bulb setting like it said to in the manual, and it WAAAAAAY overexposed them. Not even usable photos. Luckily I reviewed them and saw that, and then I switched to shutter priority and played around with different settings, so I ended up with some decent pics (though nothing professional-worthy)
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Here's that man/child shot processed a little. There wasn't much to work with. Looks ok to me.
It's okay, yeah. But why didn't the original unprocessed shot look good?? THAT is my question. I can't process every single lovin' photo -- I took over 600 just this week! If there is an otherwise great picture that's easy to tweak, that's okay, but I still think I should get decent pics without doing that every time (assuming I had the correct settings etc.). In this situation, I don't know what I did wrong.

ETA I also think the postprocessed version looks a little unnatural. I like the original except for my daughter's face is too soft...

Last edited by javacleve; Jul 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:18 PM   #36

Quote:
I have zoom into your sister shot, the edges are really blur compare to your shot. Seem t be a bit of motion blur.
Are you talking about the gull or the slow synch by the pool?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:19 PM   #37

High iso gives you higher faster shutter speeds. I sometime shot out of the ordinary to get the results I want.

Here are some shots with some action. So I chose to blur, some I chose to freeze. Though it was taken with a higher grad lens, you can see that when you shot lower shutter speed with action. You get motion blur even with a better lens.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ueens-nyc.html

Here are some shots I shot at 1600iso to really freeze the motion at 1/4000 shutter speed. With my brothers Pentax K-x

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:24 PM   #38

ok here's one at 1/800 that still doesn't look great to me?
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:27 PM   #39

Quote:
It's okay, yeah. But why didn't the original unprocessed shot look good?? THAT is my question. I can't process every single lovin' photo -- I took over 600 just this week! If there is an otherwise great picture that's easy to tweak, that's okay, but I still think I should get decent pics without doing that every time (assuming I had the correct settings etc.). In this situation, I don't know what I did wrong.
dslr come out-of-the-box with sharpness/contrast/saturation/probably other stuff set to average. P&S come with all set high.

That's the difference.

You could set your camera to pump up the things you like but you give up flexibility. Or, you could do like I and many others do, just batch the job. Copy all your pics to the computer. Process them all automatically and save in another folder. I use Irfanview. There's lots of products. Some much better.

I know, I was shaken too when I moved up from p&s to dslr (just this year). Did a lot of thinking, set up my workflow (real simple) and moving along.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:29 PM   #40

This looks like a focus problem. single point would have been better.