Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:31 PM   #41

go to the website I posted earlier, it really will help for new dslr owners.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 13, 2010 at 5:36 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:58 PM   #42

Very true, most dslr do not process the photos much. As most dslr users edit in photoshop or other editing software quite a bit.

You can set the canon to process more, as I really do not have to much time to do allot of editing. So I have the camera process the photos more. It is actually pretty simple to increase sharpness, saturation, contrast, and color tone in the the menu for picture style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
dslr come out-of-the-box with sharpness/contrast/saturation/probably other stuff set to average. P&S come with all set high.

That's the difference.

You could set your camera to pump up the things you like but you give up flexibility. Or, you could do like I and many others do, just batch the job. Copy all your pics to the computer. Process them all automatically and save in another folder. I use Irfanview. There's lots of products. Some much better.

I know, I was shaken too when I moved up from p&s to dslr (just this year). Did a lot of thinking, set up my workflow (real simple) and moving along.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
High iso gives you higher faster shutter speeds. I sometime shot out of the ordinary to get the results I want.

Here are some shots with some action. So I chose to blur, some I chose to freeze. Though it was taken with a higher grad lens, you can see that when you shot lower shutter speed with action. You get motion blur even with a better lens.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ueens-nyc.html

Here are some shots I shot at 1600iso to really freeze the motion at 1/4000 shutter speed. With my brothers Pentax K-x

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html
wow, very cool shots! I do understand the relationship between ISO and shutter speed, and motion blur...I guess I always thought of 1/500 as being pretty fast to stop motion, though, so I wasn't trying to go much faster than that...
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
dslr come out-of-the-box with sharpness/contrast/saturation/probably other stuff set to average. P&S come with all set high.

That's the difference.

You could set your camera to pump up the things you like but you give up flexibility. Or, you could do like I and many others do, just batch the job. Copy all your pics to the computer. Process them all automatically and save in another folder. I use Irfanview. There's lots of products. Some much better.

I know, I was shaken too when I moved up from p&s to dslr (just this year). Did a lot of thinking, set up my workflow (real simple) and moving along.
well maybe that is a lot of it. I did adjust some things but I didn't know what all to change. I will definitely check out that website you posted.

On the picture you said seemed to be a focus problem, I SHOULD have been using the center point at that point (because I thought maybe I was having focus issues with those other slide pictures). But again I am not 100% sure because I did try different things. It's possible that I had the center point at the wrong spot, too.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:11 PM   #45

OK, here's one at the bottom of the slide, so they aren't moving all that much now, and it's on 1/800. This is cropped to zoom it in, and they just don't look very sharp to me...is it the focus again?
Seems like that's becoming a recurring theme??
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:16 PM   #46

One more, no motion here, can't see where it focused on anything else but my daughter--just doesn't look sharp to me.

So, I could find lots of examples of this -- is it me, or is it limitations of the camera???
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:18 PM   #47

Default Last One

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
OK, here's one at the bottom of the slide, so they aren't moving all that much now, and it's on 1/800. This is cropped to zoom it in, and they just don't look very sharp to me...is it the focus again?
Seems like that's becoming a recurring theme??
Ok. You gave me an 80KB file. I used Irfanview to increase contrast saturation and sharpness. Nothing else. Boom. You can do this. In fact, you have to. Either you can do it in camera and be sorry sometimes or do it on your computer and enjoy the flexibility of working on those "special" shots.

If you're doing it manually, crop, resize, apply post-processing (pp).
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:29 PM   #48

That still doesn't look crisp to me, Frank.
Here is another of my sister's pictures--this is what I was looking to get with my camera. Yes, it's her skill, I know...but again, she said she's got it on Auto. Not trying to mess with shutter speed, etc. Again it's from facebook so no camera info. I've put in a call to her to try and get some of this info...
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:00 PM   #49

OK, talked to my sister...she is using the kit lenses (but the longer one is not a VR lens b/c it was out of stock), and either Auto or Sports mode. She is not doing anything to select shutter speed, etc.
On the gull picture, the exif data says 1/1600, f5.6, ISO200. She bumped up the brightness a TAD in Picasa (tuning) but otherwise that is the untouched photo.
On the splashing swimmer, 1/2000, f5.6, ISO200.

Other than the composition, she is just using the camera as a P&S. This is more along the lines of what I expected out of the box, with the option of being creative if desired.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:12 PM   #50

OK, on this one she set the ISO and shutter speed manually to try and stop the motion a bit; she said she had to lighten it in Picasa. I'm surprised at how clear this is. Just an example of what she's getting out of this D5000.
focal length 120mm, 1/160, f4.8, ISO2000
Attached Images