Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:53 PM   #61

The focus is really off on this shot.

With the flat color and sharpness, if you are not into editing later, I would adjust the picture style setting. User one of the user define one, up sharpness, saturation and contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Here's one, my husband actually took the shot because I'm in it. It is not too bright--sunny but in the shade. Just looks flat and soft to me. I took several in the same location and they all looked like this. I told him to put the focus point on the eyes (don't know whose he used).
Old Jul 13, 2010, 9:59 PM   #62

I'm cool with editing, I just don't want to have to do it to EVERY picture.
I wonder why the focus is off, if I told him to put it on our eyes. Hmmm. Can't vouch for that one.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:03 PM   #63

That is the thing with dslr, because they do not process as much to get the photo to the way you want, you will have to edit. Or you need to adjust the picture style with the sharpness, contrast, saturation and color tone in the user define. When you want to edit shoot in portrait or landscapes. When you do not want to edit use the user define that you set up.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:07 PM   #64

This is one I took under the same situation, and it's soft too...if the focus is off, what is it ON?
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:08 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
That is the thing with dslr, because they do not process as much to get the photo to the way you want, you will have to edit. Or you need to adjust the picture style with the sharpness, contrast, saturation and color tone in the user define. When you want to edit shoot in portrait or landscapes. When you do not want to edit use the user define that you set up.
OK, but you can't fix the focus being off, can you?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:10 PM   #66

What aperture did you shoot this shot at. It is soft, but the looks like the camera focus on the girls hand. I would stop down to f7.1 it will greatly increase the sharpness of the kit lens.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:11 PM   #67

Also at full auto, the camera will choose the widest aperture. With the kit lens, on the long end it will choose 5.6, and on the short side 3.5, Stopping down to 5.6 on the close end and 7.1 on the long end will really increase sharpness with the kit lens.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:26 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Also at full auto, the camera will choose the widest aperture. With the kit lens, on the long end it will choose 5.6, and on the short side 3.5, Stopping down to 5.6 on the close end and 7.1 on the long end will really increase sharpness with the kit lens.
ahhh, that's a tip. I wondered how it chose the aperture and shutter speed in Auto. This picture says f5.6, 1/125. Now, I am not all that steady so I wouldn't have wanted to go any slower on the shutter speed. I guess I could have bumped up the ISO (it doesn't say in the program I'm using what it was on).
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:30 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
Here's one, my husband actually took the shot because I'm in it. It is not too bright--sunny but in the shade. Just looks flat and soft to me. I took several in the same location and they all looked like this. I told him to put the focus point on the eyes (don't know whose he used).

Not bad, but most pics from a dslr require at least some pp. Here I applied warming of the skin tones, level adjustment, and very light unsharp mask.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Last edited by Hawgwild; Jul 13, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:37 PM   #70

so far on the dslr tips website, it's not really new information to me (I did use a film SLR before) but good reminders. The main thing is working out all the compromises...ie better dof but lower light and perhaps not the sharpest image for that lens.

I'm still stuck as to whether I like this camera....I like the shots my sister is getting on Auto with the D5000 compared to this one on Auto. Maybe everything else is equal.