Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:37 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
This is one I took under the same situation, and it's soft too...if the focus is off, what is it ON?

I did a slight crop on this one, and did the same adjustmenys as the one above. There are as many ways to tweak these pics as fhere are photographers. This should serve only as a starting point for you. Focus, clarity, and proper exposure are most important, but will still require at least SOME post-processing.
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:38 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Not bad, but most pics from a dslr require at least some pp. Here I applied warming of the skin tones, level adjustment, and very light unsharp mask.
it does look better (but I'm not clear on what "unsharp mask" means, I've heard it but it just doesn't make sense to me)...but still not fabulous.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:40 PM   #73

Quote:

I did a slight crop on this one, and did the same adjustmenys as the one above. There are as many ways to tweak these pics as fhere are photographers. This should serve only as a starting point for you. Focus, clarity, and proper exposure are most important, but will still require at least SOME post-processing.
wow, that one looks a LOT better. That's another thing about the Canon, the color is a little blue to me. So you pp every single picture you take?

ETA and, that still leaves me with my sister's D5000 taking better pics without doing all that to them...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:42 PM   #74

Most dslr shooter PP all their shots.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:51 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
wow, that one looks a LOT better. That's another thing about the Canon, the color is a little blue to me. So you pp every single picture you take?

ETA and, that still leaves me with my sister's D5000 taking better pics without doing all that to them...
Believe it or not, I do some tweaking on EVERY photo I take. Unsharp mask is a tool in photoshop/elements, that allows you to "mask" the unsharpness if I have any grasp at all on it. What it does is makes the picture look sharper, and is infinitely variable, so you can get it exactly where you want it. This is all incumbent on getting a proper focus the first time.

The advice to turn the camera in was sound. The Canon will give you fine results, and using more "pro grade glass" will make a huge difference. Your sister may have better glass than the kit. But this will take a load off you while you sort things out, maybe even try a d5000. Good luck!

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:51 PM   #76

What do you think of this one? I like it, though it could use some pp I wanted to post the original...the only thing is, it's f5.6, 1/160 at 3200 ISO using light coming in a window. I guess I expected to be able to get faster pictures at that ISO?
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:52 PM   #77

everything looks soft like its in portrait mode to me ...mmmmm
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:54 PM   #78

Quote:
Believe it or not, I do some tweaking on EVERY photo I take. Unsharp mask is a tool in photoshop/elements, that allows you to "mask" the unsharpness if I have any grasp at all on it. What it does is makes the picture look sharper, and is infinitely variable, so you can get it exactly where you want it. This is all incumbent on getting a proper focus the first time.

The advice to turn the camera in was sound. The Canon will give you fine results, and using more "pro grade glass" will make a huge difference. Your sister may have better glass than the kit. But this will take a load off you while you sort things out, maybe even try a d5000. Good luck!
Thank you for the explanation and advice...my sister has the kit lens so it's nothing special, and I do think I need to try out the D5000 just to rest easy. The difficulty will be that I just don't have the same rich scenarios to choose from since I am not on vacation, but I'll see what I can drum up
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
everything looks soft like its in portrait mode to me ...mmmmm
yes, that's exactly what I am saying. I don't think I used portrait mode though, because I knew that would happen in that mode. I MAY have tried it out for kicks, though, so i couldn't swear to it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:00 PM   #80

Try shooting in Av mood, and stopping down a bit. That should increase the sharpness and it will be a good test.

Also did you change any of the settings when you first got the camera. You might want to consider doing a master rest to clear out everything back to factory default.