Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:05 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Try shooting in Av mood, and stopping down a bit. That should increase the sharpness and it will be a good test.

Also did you change any of the settings when you first got the camera. You might want to consider doing a master rest to clear out everything back to factory default.
I was worrying about the shutter speed getting too low, but I will try that suggestion about using f7 on this lens.
I did change some settings, like I turned the noise reduction off. But the first couple of days' pictures were taken before I changed anything.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:07 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
What do you think of this one? I like it, though it could use some pp I wanted to post the original...the only thing is, it's f5.6, 1/160 at 3200 ISO using light coming in a window. I guess I expected to be able to get faster pictures at that ISO?
Your original looks good to me except the white balance. Here is your shot..

I may have gone bit too far, but this stuff isn't written in stone. It's very much up to the one doing the pp. Again, some selective unsharp mask using the sharp tool, and a slight tweak to the skin color. BTW, that camera does iso 3200 very well!
Attached Images

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:50 PM   #83

I was going off to bed, but then I got a "duuuuh" moment...my pictures are still on my camera so I can see exactly what the settings were (except for what focus point I was using)...
I don't know if it helps at this point to describe them, but the one of the boy above ws taken with Tv (shutter priority) at ISO3200 with standard style (sharpness at +3, everything else at 0). NOT portrait style.
The one with the slow synch flash -- I was wrong, it was not in Auto. It was in Av, so that might explain it! I must have had the aperture down to try and get more light since it was getting dark.
The one of the big slide was on Manual, with ISO 200 (f10, 1/500, which I thought would be sufficient to stop motion).
The one of the gull was also on Manual, ISO 100, f5.6, 1/2000
ETA ALL of these were on the standard style (3, 0, 0, 0) with one situation being different (as described next).

The one interesting thing is that the ones that were flat and soft under the shade (my sister and I, and the 2 girls making goofy faces) were done with User Defined style--I increased the sharpness to +7, saturation to +1, everything else was zero. I also took some at f9 and they weren't any better, so I'm just at a loss as to why so flat and soft. They were all taken in Av at ISO 100, varying the aperture until I liked the shutter speed...
ETA here's the one at f9 in the same location, but perhaps it's a focusing issue this time? never mind the tree growing out of the boy's head that's the reason I am not a pro LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by javacleve; Jul 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:55 PM   #84

I know what you mean, It's 11:52 pm here, I have to be up at 6:00 am in the morning. Yawn.. I don't know much about the canons, but if there is a way, increase contrast. If it lets you, it should be in the vicinity of saturation and sharpness..

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:59 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
I know what you mean, It's 11:52 pm here, I have to be up at 6:00 am in the morning. Yawn.. I don't know much about the canons, but if there is a way, increase contrast. If it lets you, it should be in the vicinity of saturation and sharpness..
you're not in EST then, it's almost 1 am here I don't have to be up at 6, though, but I do need to get off to bed.
I can increase the contrast in the User Defined modes, so I'll try that. I'm hoping the camera store will let me keep this a bit longer. If not, it's going back tomorrow and I'm trying the D5000.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!! and, good night!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:04 AM   #86

hit the menu, go to picture style and you can increase contrast there.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:36 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
hit the menu, go to picture style and you can increase contrast there.
only in the User Defined styles, right?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:45 PM   #88

You can use a user define, or if you want you can change the predefine ones.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:22 PM   #89

hmmm, I didn't see how I could change the predefined ones, I'll take a look at that again...

I got a reprieve, I have 2 more weeks to decide. Went to the camera store today. He thought I was getting good detail and sharpness, so I'm not sure what I am unhappy with! LOL He told me to get my sister's original files and print them out to compare, because he said you really can't tell on a monitor with a compressed file. He thinks that is the main source of what I am seeing, what do you all think?
I pointed out some pictures on their wall which showed the "crispness" I am looking for, and he said it was taken with a $2000 lens.
Bottom line, he thought I was probably going have the same issues with the D5000 in Auto (though I'm skeptical, seeing my sister's pictures in Auto); but of course he's willing to exchange.

They hate me, I'm sure...I spend a year deciding, asking questions, etc. Finally buy one and go back to bother them some more! LOL
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:36 PM   #90

Of course you have to compare original files. make a small test. snap a pic of your street corner with both cameras. look at both jpegs on your computer. copy them to a usb flash drive. then go back to your camera store and tell them you want a d5000. folks here are trying to help but really, i think you're in a bind. just get the camera that does what you want. later on you could even pool your cash and buy specialty lenses or an expensive flash.

before you blurt out that you want to return the camera, show the guy the two pics. there's no need to print them. you can just zoom in with whatever viewer you like and look at detail. edges, colours, fine lines.

oh, and, they may not hate you now. but if you get another camera and want to return it, they will. i would bring that other d5000 and ask them to set the new one up the same way.

Last edited by frank-in-toronto; Jul 14, 2010 at 8:39 PM.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote