Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:48 PM   #1

Default I'm back! with Canon T1i questions

Hi everyone!
I can't believe almost a year has gone by! Believe it or not, I just bought a camera about 2 weeks ago--I heard about the Canon T2i so I waited for it to come out before buying. But I ended up going with the T1i anyway, because I don't really need the video and the extra ISO didn't seem worth the extra money...I don't know if this is the right forum to post about this, but I wanted to let ya'll know what I ended up getting.

However, I am not especially pleased with it! arrrrgh I'm sure a lot of it is learning the camera, but I took it on vacation (just got back), and over 600 pictures later I'm still frustrated by some things. I only have until tomorrow to return it, so I'm .

My sister was standing next to me with a Nikon D5000 and it seemed to be faster in focusing (even on full Auto) and the pictures looked sharper to me, although that could have just been a difference between the LCD screens? She got shots that my camera missed.
So now I am wondering why that wasn't one under consideration? I do remember some discussion about it, but can't recall the details. It was about the same size and weight so that wouldn't be an issue.
My niece is also in gymnastics and she got reasonably good photos with it, even with a max f4 aperture; I was surprised. She had some photos taken by another mom with a higher end camera and hers were better--less blurry and better lighting.

I can post some of my pics if anyone wants to see them...though I deleted the worst ones to make room on my card.

Last edited by javacleve; Jul 13, 2010 at 8:18 PM.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:53 PM   #2

Maybe this is the time of year to try new things and be disappointed. I too have a newish camera. I'm out 3 or 4 times a week taking pics and reviewing them at night. Lots are no good. I have lots to learn.

There's nothing wrong with your camera. Post a couple of shots. Ask for c&c. Wear your thick skin that day. You may have heard that the photographer has something to do with the quality of the product. Maybe it's true.

Anyway, put a couple up and absorb the info. You'll get better.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:57 PM   #3

I think your sister knows her tool better. The canon does have the faster AF system. Do you have some samples of the shots your were disappointed in.

Where you shooting al the AF points or just single point. Shooting allot of AF point, can cause the camera to pick the wrong thing to focus on and cause your subject to be out of focus. I then to shoot a single point in clutter area to get a better focus.

Also what lens did your sister shoot with. The kit lenses or the nikon are slightly faster to focus then the canon. Also what picture style did you choose. landscape, portraits and of on.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Maybe this is the time of year to try new things and be disappointed. I too have a newish camera. I'm out 3 or 4 times a week taking pics and reviewing them at night. Lots are no good. I have lots to learn.

There's nothing wrong with your camera. Post a couple of shots. Ask for c&c. Wear your thick skin that day. You may have heard that the photographer has something to do with the quality of the product. Maybe it's true.

Anyway, put a couple up and absorb the info. You'll get better.
Oh, I know the photographer has a lot to do with it, but I am not quite a novice. I'm sure I have a lot to learn, but like I said there are some specific things that are very frustrating about this camera (such as in full Auto mode, you cannot change the focus point--it automatically picks for you, and it's usually the closest object, which did not work most of the time for me! I know I won't be using full auto a lot, but there are times you just want to take a picture without having to think about everything, so it would be nice if it worked at least as well as a P&S in Auto!). Also, the whole point of buying this was for gymnastics--ie, subject in motion--and so far I haven't been impressed with its focusing in such situations (even setting it to AF servo)

I do plan on putting photos over in C&C but in the meantime I only have a day to decide on keeping this camera!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:59 PM   #5

if you want to learn a bit more about dslr shooting, goto www.dslrtips.com

And as frank said, post some samples so the forum can help you figure out how to get better.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:01 PM   #6

don't shoot in full auto, shot in P, it will let you pick your focus point and still be auto ever thing else.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
...I only have a day to decide on keeping this camera!
Then I suggest returning it right now. You're unhappy and that's difficult to change. Give yourself some time to think things over.

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the camera. But reduce your stress. Return it, try out a few more, see what the others are using and their results. There'll be nothing wrong with getting the same camera as someone else.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:12 PM   #8

getting the same camera as your sister may give you the advantage of having someone close that knows the tool. And can make the transition easier.

Growth wise the T1i gives you more options in the future, but the hear and now is the more important thing. So if you layout of the camera is giving you issue. Return it and try out others at the store before getting another dslr. Because no matter what dslr you get, you will have a bit of learning to get the results you are looking for.

When my brother pick up his pentax k-x, he thought it was not as good at my t1i. I borrowed a week and show him the results I got with the camera. And they were just as good as what I shot with my T1i. But it takes time to learn any dslr system.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I think your sister knows her tool better. The canon does have the faster AF system. Do you have some samples of the shots your were disappointed in.

Where you shooting al the AF points or just single point. Shooting allot of AF point, can cause the camera to pick the wrong thing to focus on and cause your subject to be out of focus. I then to shoot a single point in clutter area to get a better focus.

Also what lens did your sister shoot with. The kit lenses or the nikon are slightly faster to focus then the canon. Also what picture style did you choose. landscape, portraits and of on.
In Auto mode it would not let me change from all point to single point (at least after reading the manual and trying the buttons, it said "that function is not allowed" or something like that). Could be that I am missing something, for sure. But it's definitely not obvious.
My sister's camera is actually pretty new and she didn't know much about it, really. She didn't even know it had a Live View option for stills, for example. She was using full Auto mode most of the time we were together, unless she switched to sports or beach styles (at least, that's what she said). Not sure about what she used for the gymnastics photos. She is a good photographer, though, no question. I asked her about her lens but she hasn't replied yet. I know she's had Nikon cameras in the past so it could be a lens from one of them.

Here is one example --
oops, it's pretty small I must have downloaded the thumbnail by mistake. You can see that it focused on the jeans instead of the girl.

ETA I think this is where I had left the ISO on 3200 from the fireworks...so it's a bit noisy. But still not enough to take a sharp photo, IMO. I'm wondering if it will actually be okay for me to take gymnastics photos even with an f1.4...hmmmmm
Attached Images

Last edited by javacleve; Jul 13, 2010 at 8:05 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:18 PM   #10

In the automatic and scene modes the camera picks everything. You need to be in P to pick iso and single point AF points.

The photo has no exif data. It will really help to if you can provide the aperture, iso, shutter speeds.