Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:57 PM   #101

So, the Sony A450 would be a better bet?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:00 PM   #102

If shooting you 3.5 year old running around, it would be a better tool, but then the large camera also a hamper when traveling with kids. Due to the added size. It comes down to what is more important to you.

That is why I travel with the epl-1, and only take the canon for action, ie shooting dancing, plane shooting, and the birds in flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
So, the Sony A450 would be a better bet?

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:09 PM   #103

I see, thanks. Big decision time for me then.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:17 PM   #104

Yup, there are my things to consider.

Larger and better with action, or smaller and easier to travel. Losing action is better then not having a camera with you as it to much to pack or using a point and shoot. Which is why you are looking for a higher quality image with a dslr or evil.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:36 PM   #105

Yea. Really want a quality camera. I like the NX10, G1 and the Sony A450 and Nikon D3000.

Obviously i will be taking action shots as my daughter moves around like a rocket at times.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:40 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
285. Where please?

Basket
If you have a promotion code please enter it here:
SONY DSLRA450L.CEH Quantity: 299.99
14 megapixel digital slr camera
Remove from basket
Your discount -15.00 (promotion code: AW5199)
Subtotal (ex. Delivery) 284.99

I am still swayed by the Pentax K-x as the A450 has few reviews and seems to be just made for a few retailors. The video is also a nice add on for kids, Mine are 10 months, 3 and 5 years old. I tried the Pentax and it took forever to focus on the kids. The guy showing it to me did not know what he was doing. We managed to record video, but could not play it back. Shame. It appears looking at the reviews, that using the quick view leads to very slow focusing. I will go back and try it again. I want to e able to install my own SD card to check out the images at home.

Is the general feeling that the Pentax K-x is the better option or are the 2 cameras so close together that you could not put a cigarette paper between them. Or is it horses for courses. One has video and the Sony has something else.

Regards

Will

P.S. if the code doesn't work I will see if I can get another one, But I have just put it in and it did work, but may expire tonight at midnight.
eye will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:43 PM   #107

I was at a dance event this weekend, and some local photog group uses it as a photo event. Now these guys were dead set on getting the best photos they can, using FF camera with all the gear. In 92-95 degree heat, 41c. They had hugh backpacks, tripods and a whole assortment of lenses. To some, have all that ability is more important then packing light. So that question is something only you can decide.

Just weigh down the pros and cons, and be honest with yourself about how much gear you are willing to pack with you to get those high quality photos. Then that will help you make the right choice for you.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:47 PM   #108

Actually the sony is strip down, pentax has hd and Liveview, sony has nothing else really. It is a more basic camera. They are pretty even in the camera aspect. I give the lenses to pentax and IS system to sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye will View Post
Basket
If you have a promotion code please enter it here:
SONY DSLRA450L.CEH Quantity: 299.99
14 megapixel digital slr camera
Remove from basket
Your discount -15.00 (promotion code: AW5199)
Subtotal (ex. Delivery) 284.99

I am still swayed by the Pentax K-x as the A450 has few reviews and seems to be just made for a few retailors. The video is also a nice add on for kids, Mine are 10 months, 3 and 5 years old. I tried the Pentax and it took forever to focus on the kids. The guy showing it to me did not know what he was doing. We managed to record video, but could not play it back. Shame. It appears looking at the reviews, that using the quick view leads to very slow focusing. I will go back and try it again. I want to e able to install my own SD card to check out the images at home.

Is the general feeling that the Pentax K-x is the better option or are the 2 cameras so close together that you could not put a cigarette paper between them. Or is it horses for courses. One has video and the Sony has something else.

Regards

Will

P.S. if the code doesn't work I will see if I can get another one, But I have just put it in and it did work, but may expire tonight at midnight.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:58 PM   #109

What about the AF points not lighting up in the Pentax? Is that the same with the Sony or do they actually light up?
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:59 PM   #110

The sony lights up.