Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:44 PM   #11

cdd is the older design, but the future of sensors are cmos. Most point and shoot use cdd.

This will explain it better then I can.

http://www.dalsa.com/corp/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.aspx
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:08 PM   #12

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor#CCD_vs_CMOS
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
cdd is the older design, but the future of sensors are cmos. Most point and shoot use cdd.

This will explain it better then I can.

http://www.dalsa.com/corp/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.aspx
reading that article makes me wonder why you say cmos is better? sounds like they both have advantages to me, with ccd having the edge in uniformity of quality.
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:44 PM   #14

CMOS produce higher quality photos in low light. That is why all high end camera have cmos. Cmos is making their way into point and shoots. The price is coming down, and the new sony's are going cmos.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:13 AM   #15

Still confused, lol
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:19 AM   #16

Allot of the cdd vs cmos info is a bit old back form 2005. CMOS has grown allot more, and the early short comings have been resolved. As CDD is more mature design they have not been improve as much as cmos over the last 5 years.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:36 AM   #17

There is no significant difference between the quality of images from cameras with CMOS image sensors and from cameras with CCD image sensors. And any minor differences that may be unique to a particular image sensor (CCD or CMOS) are handled in firmware anyway.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There is no significant difference between the quality of images from cameras with CMOS image sensors and from cameras with CCD image sensors. And any minor differences that may be unique to a particular image sensor (CCD or CMOS) are handled in firmware anyway.
I think that depends on what you are interested in optimizing. My impression is that the best current CMOS is much better at low-light imaging than the best current CCD. It is always possible that there will be a breakthrough with CCD that will bring it back into contention on this score, but I chose my most recent camera specifically for its low-light performance, and I have not been disappointed. There has been an amazing amount of progress in the last couple of years in low-light performance with CMOS. Admittedly, I am not thoroughly familiar personally with very many cameras. But the experience I do have is completely in synch with what I have been reading on these developments.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:45 AM   #19

Koolpc-

In normal lighting there is not much difference at all between CCD and CMOS. I think the important issue for you is to get started. Where does the budget stand right now and what are your options?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:22 PM   #20

Well, mtclimber, i really would like to keep my costs down to a max of 350 for a good camera with lens. It is so hard to decide as i have also tried out quite a few DLSR's. I want one that is proven from the start to be a good DSLR but which i could improve on.

I really do like the 450D but it is out of my price range, brand new.

I do like the D3000 too. A nice camera to hold and use (Brief use in camera shop).

Then i see the Olympus which also looks great.

Then the Pentax K-x. A really lovely camera, let down, only by what others say, of the non-lighting up AF points.

I don't want a bridge. I want to get a DSLR but my budget is restrictive as to what i can buy!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote