Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:19 PM   #201

My advice listen to the wife.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:24 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
My advice listen to the wife.
And get what?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:25 PM   #203

You said she said get a camera with HD, get either a 500D, D5000, or the K-x.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:41 PM   #204

Guess you are right. If that is the choice, it would have to be the K-x as others out of my budget!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #205

koolpc-

We have now passed 200 posts on this topic alone.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:12 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
koolpc-

We have now passed 200 posts on this topic alone.

Sarah Joyce
Well, who is counting? Should i have chosen on page 1?

Anyway:

Well, popped into Bristol today and checked out a couple of cameras.

The Sony A450..................Big and bulky, even after trying for the 2nd time. It still felt awkward and like a brick, so, that is definitely out and laid to rest.

Samsung Nx10.............. EVF, what a pain. Hated it big time. No thank you.

Pentax K-x...............Nice size camera, AF very fast, quite a heavy camera with those AA's, nice feel to it, it did look like a toy though! lol. Having said that, it is a very nice camera. Been reading up on it last night (Didn't hit the sack til 3am!!) and quite a few people in the Pentax forum loved it but some still had some issues with it. Lots of people don't like the non AF lighting up points. The fact that the camera needs a Firmware update as soon as you buy it (For battery monitor issues) and some other points i can't remember!!

Canon 1000D, again.........................What an ace camera to have in the hand. As i stated before, the only reason i took the other one back was because my mate was selling me his 550D, but, as you know, it got damaged as he was about to bring it down to me.

So, i contacted my local camera shop who have had to order me a 1000D body (299 brand new) as they sold the one i took back!! Should have it by friday when i will be home to collect it from our short break away (Campsite). They are also getting some Pentax K-x's in and have said i can have a good play with one when i go in on friday just incase i decide to change my mind!!

I have to sort out a lens now as he didn't have the 18-55 IS. I will either have to try and find a 2nd hand one somewhere or look for an alternative.

I have heard a lot about the 'Nifty Fifty'. What spec is that and what price can i expect to pay for one? Failing that and i can't get either, what other 'walkabout' lens could i look at (Budget around 140).

So, as you can see, i decided to go back to the 1000D. The pentax keeps eating away inside my head but i don't know what it is but something keeps telling me to stick with Canon, don't buy the K-x.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:49 PM   #207

you are hung up over the AF points. As it is allot better camera then the 1000D. It has much better low light ability then the 1000D, all lenses will be IS as it has inbody IS, and it has a better af system the the 1000D, and it has better kit lenses and it has HD. But the AF points seems to bother you.

Since it bothers you to the point that you can not accept all the other advantages, get the 1000D or the A450. It comes down to a simple decision. Pay about the same and get less. And you will have the AF points you want.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:52 PM   #208

Well, over at the pentax forum there are pros and cons with the k-x. Trying both again on friday
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:02 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
So, i contacted my local camera shop who have had to order me a 1000D body (299 brand new) as they sold the one i took back!! Should have it by friday when i will be home to collect it from our short break away (Campsite). They are also getting some Pentax K-x's in and have said i can have a good play with one when i go in on friday just incase i decide to change my mind!!
That sounds like an ideal situation.Bring a memory card or
two. Have a good play with both cameras and then go home
and have a look at the pictures before you decide.

Quote:
I have to sort out a lens now as he didn't have the 18-55 IS. I will either have to try and find a 2nd hand one somewhere or look for an alternative.
The 18-55mm IS is a fairly decent lens. There are better
lenses out there, but they are a lot more expensive.

18-55mm IS outdoors on a bright sunny day:

18-55mm IF indoors @18mm without flash:

Quote:
I have heard a lot about the 'Nifty Fifty'. What spec is that and what price can i expect to pay for one? Failing that and i can't get either, what other 'walkabout' lens could i look at (Budget around 140).
'Nifty Fifty' is a fast 50mm prime lens. It generally refers to
the Canon 50mm f/1.8. The build quality is cheap and nasty,
but they are optically excellent. These lenses are 75 from
Kerso in Scotland.

50mm f/1.8 outdoors:

50mm f/1.8 outdoors:

Quote:
So, as you can see, i decided to go back to the 1000D. The pentax keeps eating away inside my head but i don't know what it is but something keeps telling me to stick with Canon, don't buy the K-x.
I refer you to my comments in message #174 2nd paragraph:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/1121192-post174.html
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 5:10 PM   #210

Awesome pics.

After reading some more reviews tonight i am going to go with the 1000D and get an 18-55 IS lens.

Thanks everyone for all your patience and help.