Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:55 PM   #21

Koolpc-

If it were me my first choice would be the Canon XSi, followed by the Olympus E-600 if you really wanted to save some money.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:24 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
What is the difference and why would you choose CMOS?
CCD sensors have been the traditional favorites for image applications requiring lower noise levels and better dynamic range, and most of the sensor type comparisons you'll find online will show lower noise and better dynamic range to be advantages of a CCD over a CMOS Sensor.

For example, if you look a noise levels and dynamic range sections of the tables in the article shoturtle posted a link to, you'll notice that CCD Sensors should be better in those areas.

http://www.dalsa.com/corp/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.aspx

You'll see similar comparisons elsewhere. Here's another example:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...uestion362.htm

That's mostly because CCD sensors have a design that allows for a better fill factor, without the on chip real estate needed for A/D conversion electronics used by CMOS Sensors (which takes away from the light gathering area that can be used to allow larger photosites for each pixel with a CCD sensor).

But, CMOS Technology has matured a lot over the past few years, with more advanced designs that have gotten around their inherent disadvantages in those areas.

Bottom line... you really need to compare each sensor on a case by case basis to see how they perform.

In the case of the Sony 10MP CCD Sensors used in models like the Nikon D3000 and Sony A230, or the Sony 14MP CCD Sensor used in a model like the A380; they have higher noise levels compared to the Sony 12MP CMOS Sensors used in models like the Sony A500, Pentax K-x, Nikon D5000 and others. Ditto for the Sony 14MP CMOS Sensor used in the A550 (lower noise levels compared to the Sony 14MP CCD Sensor used in a model like the Sony A380).

So, I'd expect that to be the case with the newer A290 and A390 models you're looking at, too (higher noise levels compared to the current crop of CMOS Sensors), as on the surface these new Sony models appear to use the same basic sensor design and processing engine as the A380, which uses a Sony 14MP CCD Sensor.

But, I haven't seen any sample images from the new Sony models yet. So, I would not assume that Sony didn't make any changes to their design until then (although I'd expect that to be the case, as from outward appearances, these models are mostly a cosmetic upgrade with better ergonomics compared to the older models).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:32 PM   #23

mmm, right, still got to decide which to plump for!

Is the D3000 a worthy buy? The XSi is out of my price range here in the UK.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:37 PM   #24

between the 1000d aka 1000d and the d3000, I would go with the 1000d. Since budget is important, the canon lenses line up has more entry level lenses to pick from at low cost.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:41 PM   #25

But i thought the 1000D was not as good a camera as the D3000?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
But i thought the 1000D was not as good a camera as the D3000?
It is about the same.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:12 PM   #27
Administrator

With an under 400 budget in the U.K., you may also want to take a look at the Sony A450 kit, as I see a recent 100.00 price drop on it. For example, Jessops has it for 379.00 delivered right now including an 18-55mm kit lens:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...7036/show.html

The A450 is using a better Sony 14MP CMOS Sensor compared to the Nikon D3000 (which like the Sony A230 and A330 models, uses a Sony 10MP CCD Sensor).

The Sony A450 is also a much faster camera than the other models you're looking at (up to 7fps by locking focus with the first frame, or 5fps if you want Autofocus between frames), and also has higher available ISO speeds than the entry level models you're looking at.

Basically, it's the Sony A550 without the fast Autofocus Live View and tilting LCD, although the A450 still has contrast detect Live View using the camera's main imaging sensor (that Sony refers to as "Manual Focus Check Live View", which is the way non-Sony models approach Live View by using the camera's main imaging sensor, versus having a separate Live View sensor allowing fast Autofocus like the Sony A500 and A550 models give you).

The A450 kit is only about 10 more than a Canon EOS-1000D kit at vendors like Jessops, and I would certainly grab it versus any of the other Sony models under 400, as the A450 would have much better performance with lower noise levels and higher available ISO speeds. Any lens you use on it would also be stabilized (including brighter primes and third party lenses from vendors like Sigma and Tamron). See their list of dSLR models sorted by lowest price first here:

http://www.jessops.com/Directory/cat...T;jessops_1_10
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:16 PM   #28

Sony Alpha a450 + 18-55mm Lens, thanks, didn't think of that model as per the price. Didn't realise it was now reduced buy some margin!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:20 PM   #29

Yup, that would be a excellent pick. You get a much better camera then the other sony and the d3000 and 1000d.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:20 PM   #30
Administrator

I wish Sony would have marketed the A450 in the U.S., as I think it would appeal to buyers that don't care about a tilting LCD and fast AF Live View like you'd get with the A550, yet appreciate the higher available ISO speeds and faster performance compared to the entry level models.

But, they decided to make the A450 a Europe only model.

The recent price drop is interesting. My guess (pure speculation on my part) is that they want to clear some stock in that niche in preparation for newer models with AVCHD Video features (as Sony has already announced that they'll be releasing more dSLR models this year).