Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:34 PM   #31

Koolpc-

I own a Nikon D-3000, and compared to the Canon XSi, and the Sony A-450, the D-3000 is NOT a good performer. Go for the A-450 its a great buy and in your budget.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Koolpc-

I own a Nikon D-3000, and compared to the Canon XSi, and the Sony A-450, the D-3000 is NOT a good performer. Go for the A-450 its a great buy and in your budget.

Sarah Joyce
That is good to know and thanks for your good advice and help.

To throw a spanner in the works:

As said before Pentax K-x looks great, can be had for 380 if you look around but still unsure about non AF lights.

Then, someone pointed out the SAMSUNG NX10 18-55mm lots of different advice from lots of different people.

What i don't want to do is go in head first and regret it later. That is why i have been asking around all the time.

The Sony A450 looks like a very interesting camera too.

Sorry for all the question guys!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:48 AM   #33

Right guys, been offered these, which one and why if you can help me decide:
Samsung NX10............. 325
Nikon......................... 280
Obviously both 2nd hand at those prices, both mint condition.
Which one should i buy and why? Any help here would be awesome! Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:12 AM   #34
Administrator

Neither.

I'd buy a new camera with a warranty instead (2 years in the U.K. from what I can tell from listings, although I don't keep up with U.K. policies much). For example, here is a Nikon page about their warranty:

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/se..._Warranty.page

I just don't think it's a very good idea to buy a used camera body unless you're saving a lot of money *and* it has a good warranty *and* the vendor is capable of supporting that warranty *and* you know for a fact that everything is working fine with it *and* you know that it has a very low shutter count; as you could be purchasing another person's problems, and you don't know what the camera has been through or if it has unresolved issues of some type (AF alignment issues, metering problems, etc.) that are not obvious when inspecting it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:32 PM   #35

koolpc-

It is your choice, of course, however, I would shy away from the Samsung NX-10 and the Nikon D-3000. IMO, because of their limitations you will soon be in the market for a new camera, and taking a financial loss.

Buy a new camera, because you will get a good, valuable, and workable warranty. Of all the camera mentioned thus far, the Sony A-450 would be the best value.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:21 PM   #36

No, Sony A450 has terrible write ups in the mags over here in the UK.

What about the Nikon D80?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:35 PM   #37
Administrator

What mags, and compared to what?

The A450 has the same Image Quality as the A550, which is a pretty good camera compared to the entry level models like you're looking at. Shooting JPEG, it's got the best Dynamic Range (ability to capture a greater range of bright to dark) of any model we've discussed so far, and in the U.K., it's priced about the same as the entry level models you're looking at, thanks to the recent price drops.

It's also a faster camera than the models we've discussed so far.

As for the D80, it's a good camera, but it's a bit dated. It uses a Sony 10MP CCD Sensor (as does the D3000 you're looking at), but it's got a better body design with more features (it's a mid level model versus an entry level model).

For better IQ at higher ISO speeds (with higher available ISO speeds), and better dynamic range, I'd stick with cameras using newer sensor designs. For example, the Sony 12MP CMOS Sensors (as used in models like the Nikon D5000, D90, D300, D300s; Pentax K-x; Sony A700 and A500), or the Sony 14MP CMOS Sensors (as used in models like the Sony A550 and A450, Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5); or one of the newer Canon CMOS sensors as used in the Canon 500D or 550D.

The entry level models using older sensor designs (like the Sony 10MP CCD sensors used in the Nikon D3000 and D80; and Sony models like the A230), will not perform as well as you increase ISO speeds (although newer camera models will usually have more advanced Noise Reduction algorithms to help out in that area and algorithms used will vary by camera brand/model, the sensor design itself is more limiting).
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:41 PM   #38

Thing is, lots of mags also mention that the A230 is really good at higher ISO's than quite a few others!!

Pentax K-x is a good looking camera but still unsure.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:07 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
Thing is, lots of mags also mention that the A230 is really good at higher ISO's than quite a few others!!
The A230 is using a Sony 10MP CCD sensor (as do cameras like the D80 you just mentioned). It's not as good as the newer Sony sensor designs as ISO speeds are increased (like you may want to do in less than optimum lighting so that you can get faster shutter speeds to prevent blur from subject movement).

Sony did improve Noise Reduction Algorithms with newer models like the A230 using that sensor design. But, it's nowhere near as good as the more expensive models using newer Sony 12MP or 14MP CMOS Sensors (which is one reason Sony limited it's available ISO speeds).

You really don't want to use the highest available ISO speed with any camera model you buy (as the highest settings usually have relatively degraded image quality unless you keep viewing/print sizes smaller).

But, the newer models using better sensors have higher available ISO speeds if you need them (sometimes a bit of noise and/or loss of detail from Noise Reduction can be better than blurry photos), and they'll have lower noise levels with better image quality at the same ISO speeds.

For example, ISO 3200 with the Sony A450 is probably as good or better than ISO 1600 with the Sony A230 (or similar models using the same sensor).
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:14 PM   #40
Administrator

From my perspective, there is no way I'd buy a camera like the Sony A230 unless you're on a *very* tight budget and can't afford to spend just a bit more, when you can buy a *much* better camera in virtually every way for only a little more after the recent price drops on the A450 in the U.K. In this thread (one of several you've participated in asking about cameras), you mentioned a 350 budget, yet you are still looking at some cameras costing both less and more than that, and you can get a Sony A450 kit including a lens for only 379 delivered now (brand new with a warranty).

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...7036/show.html.

As the old saying goes: "Buy cheap, buy twice" ;-)

The A450 has a newer sensor design with higher resolution and lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased (with higher available ISO speeds); better Dynamic Range shooting JPEG; more features, a higher capacity battery, better ergonomics, much faster speed of operation (larger buffer, faster frame rates, better AF algorithms) and more.

But, it's your money. So, spend it as you like.