Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:53 PM   #41
Administrator

Don't get me wrong... If budget won't permit spending that much, the entry level models are still going to be much better than a typical point and shoot model in more conditions.

It's just very difficult to figure out what you want and how much you can spend, based on your posts so far. ;-)

I'd find a camera you like (size, weight, ergonomics, etc.) and buy it.

The longer you wait to find the "perfect camera", the longer you'll be waiting to enjoy the benefits of having a camera to use.

There is no perfect camera. There are pros and cons to any of them, but virtually any modern dSLR is capable of taking nice photos in most conditions. ;-)

Try them out in stores, find one that you like and buy it. Use it for a while. If it doesn't meet your needs (and I'd ask for opinions on how to improve your photos in the forums, versus deciding if the camera is the problem), sell it and buy a different one.

Chances are, your skill level is going to be the limiting factor in most conditions anyway, not the camera you choose.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:55 PM   #42

I know. 350 is about the max i can spend on a DSLR, give or take a few quid. Just trying to get the best bang for buck / pound!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:08 PM   #43
Administrator

Well... I'd try them out in stores and find a model you're comfortable with. Skip going out to dinner for a few nights out if you want something other than the entry level models). ;-)

Personally, I'd lean towards a new camera with a longer warranty, versus a used camera (when you really don't know what's it's been through or if it has problems that are not obvious).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:42 PM   #44

It sounds like you are now on your own, koolpc-

This is not the first thread that we have devoted to this topic. We have probably handled over 100 posts try to help you with a camera decision. It seems like everything (your preferences) keeps changing all the time. I am sorry we could not make it work. But, least you need help, we will always be here.

Two watch words:

(1) purchase new so you get a real warranty.
(2) to me the A-450 still looks like your best choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:38 PM   #45

Guess you are right Sarah. I feel like a dog chasing his own tail! A450 does look good. Can't understand why it gets mediocre reviews over this side of the pond!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:50 PM   #46

koolpc-

A-450 seems to be the best alternative choice, and it is within your budget.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:25 PM   #47

Does anyone have any sample photos from the A450 for comparison? If it were me, I'd hate to buy a camera without even seeing samples of its quality.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:27 PM   #48

very true, on paper the a450 is a great fit for the budget. But I have not seen many samples. But it should be as good as the a550 though.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
very true, on paper the a450 is a great fit for the budget. But I have not seen many samples. But it should be as good as the a550 though.
It does look pretty snazzy. However, I'm guessing it will be priced about like the Canon T2i, which means it would be out of his budget range. I don't know though - I couldn't find any pricing info besides "sub-$1000".
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:49 PM   #50

The A550 is price like the t2i,