Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:15 PM   #51

I am also considering the options and have just come across the Sony A450 and get the feeling that it is a cut down A550, but with all the picture quality. How does this compare with the Lumix G1 for picture quality. I can get both new for similar prices, but the 50 cash back from Panasonic ends tomorrow, so I need a quick reply if possible.

What would you go for and why. I had started off with the idea of a Panasonic FZ35(or FZ38 in UK)(212), or the HS10 (330) and am now working my way up the price range (or same price, but less lens power). There seems to be no point getting a camera that can't take nice pics of my kids, though I need to take pics in the school play and on sports day so will need some zoom capability (The A450 seems to accept Sigma and Tamron Zoom lenses if I get it right).

Any help appreciated, I used to have an Olympus OM10 and Loved it, but now I cannot use the lenses (I had loads) as film is on the way out, so I need to get a digital camera, or at least a fill in for a couple of years until the price of the DSLR's comes down to a better price and includes video. (video capability does drag me back to the Bridge cameras, but I could cope without it if the picture quality of them is not acceptable.

Will
eye will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:22 PM   #52

well the g1 is not a dslr, it is a evil with a m4/3 format. It is a great tool for hdr. The sony is a dslr. The g1 is good upto 800iso, then gets noisy. The a450 has a larger sensor and can shoot well to 3200iso before getting noisy.

The G1 is a smaller camera while the a450 is much larger, but it takes great photo. From sample it may be better then the sony in image quality upto 800iso. But it is not ideal for action, as the contrast base AF system is not as fast as the systems they use in dslr's.

with m4/3 pretty much you can use any oly manual lenses on it with the proper adapter.

So if you are shooting landscape and not action, and not in low light with short exposures. The G1 and a450 are pretty equal.

But if you need action and low light, the a450 has a big edge.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:28 PM   #53

Thanks for the quick reply. Would you say to ignore the HS10 and the FZ38 (is the image quality very inferior to the A450 and G1.

Regards

Will
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:30 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
I am also considering the options and have just come across the Sony A450 and get the feeling that it is a cut down A550, but with all the picture quality.
The A450 has the same sensor and image processing engine as the A550; and in the U.K., the A450 kit is priced about the same as the 1000D (XS) kit now after a new price drop.

See this This Post for more info on the differences.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:35 PM   #55

neither will match a dslr or the evil in image quality or dof control with different lenses or in low light(not their strong suite). But they are convenient and offer long zooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye will View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Would you say to ignore the HS10 and the FZ38 (is the image quality very inferior to the A450 and G1.

Regards

Will
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
the A450 kit is priced about the same as the 1000D (XS) kit now after a new price drop.
Any idea who sells it? I couldn't find it anywhere online. Even Sony's website doesn't list the A450.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:41 PM   #57

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...7036/show.html

It is a European model only, can not get it in north america
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:45 PM   #58

My local shop sells it. Also found on http://www.parkcameras.com/14327/Son...-55mm-Kit.html where they have the G1 on offer.

Can the OM lenses be adapted to a full DSLR or just 4/3 cameras. Should I add the 1000D to my range to be considered or is the A450 a better buy.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:48 PM   #59

Here is a UK review of the Sony A-450 complete with images:http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...y_a450_review/

It looks to be a really good DSLR camera as long as LiveView is not a priority. It also has an in-camera Guide just like the Niko D-3000. If I was in the UK or Europe, I would purchase an A-450, at the price it is being offered. With this pricing, the A-450 which uses an APS-C imager and lenses is priced very close to the Canon XS/1000D in the UK, which make the A-450 a real winner, as it has many more features than the Canon XS/1000D, hands down!

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:50 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...7036/show.html

It is a European model only, can not get it in north america
Ah, thanks! It's out of stock there... wonder if that price will last. I also wonder how it will be priced in North America when it's released here.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote