Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:05 PM   #71

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of going for a Sigma or Tamron lens (the autofocus apparently works with them) or would that defeat the object of getting a good camera. Is the quality inferior. The range up to 300mm is ideal. What are teleconvertors like on digital cameras, or is it better to do it with software. Photoshop or is software like photozoom Pro 3 any good.
eye will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:19 PM   #72

the pentax lens is sharper then both the sigma and tamron 70-300mm, and in a kit form it is about the same price as the tamron or sigma. The camera in the states was about 550 with just one lens and 700 with the long zoom. Now sure what the packages are in the UK. The only thing the tamron or sigma does better is macro shooting as they are 1:2 macro capable.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:20 PM   #73

Will-

I would surely go with the Sony A-450 you will get a better camera and more feature. However, if either LiveView or Video is a priority, the A-450 may not be a good choice for you, otherwise it is clearly the better camera and on par with the Canon T-2i.

If I resided in the UK, I would be standing in line at Jessop's to get mine. Does Jessop's do overseas shipping to the USA??

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:27 PM   #74

I disagree, the a450 is not on par with the t2i or the t1i, The A550 is closer match. The strip down version is strip down.

between the k-x and the a450, ISO wise both are equal, IQ wise both are equal as pentax use sony sensors. AF system, the pentax is only second only to the canon in this segment. Lens wise, the pentax has better kit lenses. You gain HD, and Liveview. And it is a smaller camera, so it is easier to travel with.

The only thing the sony had better is the IS system, but that is so slight.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:40 PM   #75

With the video capability it seems worth the difference in price. It also gets 5 stars on the link showed above
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ew/conclusion/
compared with 4 stars
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ew/conclusion/

I will check out any pictures I can find on the web as samples, but am leaning towards the K-x. with extra lenses.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:43 PM   #76

that is a very idea, you may like the ergo setup of one over the other.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:48 PM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye will View Post
So if I could get the pentax K-x with 18-55mm lens for £380 or the A450 with 18-55mm lens for £285 which would you back.
Those prices seem too low, unless they're without VAT or something, as I'm seeing the A450 kit for £389 at jessops.com

Personally, I'd buy the A450 between them, as I currently use a Sony A700 and I was quite impressed with the A550 after getting a chance to use one for a while (which has the same sensor and processing engine as the A450). It's a very responsive camera (AF speed, menus, image browsing, etc.), with very good metering accuracy. IMO, the AF system is exceptional.

I would also be "put off" by not being able to see focus points being used with a model like the K-x (as I usually select the focus point I want to use and the K-x doesn't show you that info in it's viewfinder). If you're not accustomed to selecting focus points, then you may not care about that kind of thing.

Now, the K-x does have very good Image Quality at higher ISO speeds. It's using a Sony 12MP CMOS sensor (as do a number of other models like the Sony A500; Nikon D90, D300 and others). But, somehow, Pentax managed to squeeze a bit more out of this Sony sensor design as far as signal to noise ratio. My best guess is that it's using a weaker Anti-Aliasing filter (since it does appear to have more Moiré from what I've seen on resolution chart comparisons, which is one downside to using a weaker AA filter to increase sensitivity).

The Sony A450/A550 will also give you *much* better Dynamic Range shooting JPEG from tests I've seen, especially as far as highlight range goes (meaning you can capture a brighter range of dark to bright without blowing the detail in brighter areas, given properly exposed mid tones.

Shooting RAW, the Pentax does have pretty decent total Dynamic Range (better than most cameras in the shadows), but Highlight Range is still nowhere as good as some of it's competitors, given a properly exposed mid tones. Personally, I'm more concerned about the highlights so that I don't get "burnt out" skin tones, etc., versus what's in the shadows. There are pros and cons to either approach.

The Pentax does have video recording if you care about that kind of thing. But, I'd make sure you understand how it works before assuming you're getting a nice camcorder, as most dSLR models with that feature leave a lot to be desired (for example, no ability to autofocus while recording).

The Sony's body based stabilization system is also *significantly* better compared to the system used in the K-x from tests I've seen (by at least one stop, meaning you could shoot at shutter speeds twice as long without shake related problems compared to the K-x) if stabilization is an important consideration.

You'd also have more Autofocus lens choices with the Sony, as it can use any Minolta Autofocus (a.k.a., Minolta A, Dynax, Maxxum, Alpha) mount lens ever made, and there are many of them in used market. Pentax has more manual focus lens choices.

I'd try out the models you're interested in before jumping to any conclusions, as there are pros and cons to any of them. Many stores have demo cameras set up now (at least here in the U.S.)

Any opinion you read in the forums is probably biased to some degree, including mine, intentional or not. For example, I currently shoot with a Sony A700, and I really like the camera, and after using the A550 (same engine and sensor as the A450) for a while, I was immediately impressed with it's performance and image quality.

I've seen users with both the Pentax K-x and Sony A550 that thought the Sony was the better camera in a variety of areas, too (without taking Live View into consideration), especially in the performance areas. The main exception was that the A550 was more expensive, so the K-x was considered to be a better "bang for the buck", even though they considered the A550 to be a better overall camera. But, given the recent Sony price drops in the U.K. (where a model like the A450 is now priced lower than the K-x), that would no longer be the case. So, I'd try them out in a store and make up your own mind.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:56 PM   #78

At least I have narrowed it down to 2 camera (at present anyway) and I will try them out and look into them in depth. Little things like focus points will be useful. I am used to focusing on the object with the camera and then moving the camera to frame it as I like, having never had the option of focusing points. I will also look into the way the video works. (can it zoom/focus whilst videoing) and can you capture a picture at the same time. Not essential, but a more rounded offering and worth considering.
Thanks for all the great input.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:04 PM   #79

actually the pentax does have focus point, the rub by some users it that they do not light up to tell you which one is being uses. For someone that shot auto AF point with 11 point, that can be an issue not knowing. But if you chose your point for framing. Then you know exactly which point is being uses as you choose it.

pentax has an option of 5 points, 11 points, or user define single point. Default is 5 close in point, not all 11 space out points. With 11 points, if you are shooting a clutter scene, the camera may pick the wrong thing to focus on. So 5 close in point or single point will be a better uses.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:29 PM   #80

That is good to know. I am used to using one point with the SLR so that should do to start with. Does the video allow you to zoom/autofocus(manual focus) and take pics whilst shooting video?