Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2010, 8:40 PM   #81

You can zoom just like any dslr zoom lens, and you can autofocus it, it just does not focus by itself like a camcorder once you hit record. You will need to tell the camera to re focus. Or if you have a great eye, you can manual focus as you zoom in and out. There is no continuous focus is put more correctly.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:44 AM   #82

Pentax K-x and Sony A450 are both great cameras. Been looking at them both but unable to 'hold' the pentax as nonw available where i live. Going to look at the Sony this week as it is at a superb price.

As i stated before, a couple of UK based Photography mags didn't give the Sony a great write up.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9875/42782511.png

Having no Live View or movie mode doesn't bother me. Its a camera i am after, not a camcorder!

The non lit AF points does concern me about the Pentax but a lot have said it is no worry to them.

I do like the In body Stabalization of both cameras and the Pentax has had awesome reviews over here, bar the AF point thingy. It is 100 more though than the Sony which has dropped in price by quite a large bit.

I have also been looking at the newer Sony A290 but no reviews out of that as of yet.

Canon 450D looks like the winner for me but it is out of my price range new. I really want to have the security of buying new so for me it is between the Sony A450 and the Pentx K-x. I am edging towards the Sony as the price is awesome at the moment.

The other 2 i have also been reading up on and have an offer of buying, alsa, 2nd hand are:

Nikon D3000.................280 (6 months warranty from shop)
Samsung NX10...................320 (ebay!!!)

Last edited by Koolpc; Jul 18, 2010 at 4:36 AM.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:55 AM   #83

koolpc-

www.photographyblog.com, a UK based reviewer of some repute has done a recent review of the Sony A-450, complete with sample photos and good analysis. You might want to check it out. The 389 pound price (brand new) at Jessop's is indeed attractive.

The A-450 would be a much better choice than the A-290, by a wide margin.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:58 AM   #84

Thanks for that review. I am steering more to the Pentax k-x. The vibe was to go for the K-x with the 55-300 lens, but I have just seen a K-x with a 18-55 lens and the 50-200 lens for 428. Should I head for this or the Pentax K-x + 18-55mm + 55-300mm Twin Lens Kit for 529.99. Is the bigger lens worth the extra 100.

Last edited by eye will; Jul 18, 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Price changed
eye will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:15 PM   #85

What are your views on the Samsung NX10
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:35 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
What are your views on the Samsung NX10
Samsung does make excellent cameras, in my experience. However, besides the issue of it being used, you will only have 3 or 4 lens possibilities, and they're not likely to be all that sharp.
jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:08 PM   #87

Here is a comparison review.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...Comparison.htm

Samsung NX10
Pentax Kx Comparison
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:39 PM   #88

koolpc-

It seems like rather than looking for the best camera performance, that price is now driving your search. IMO that is a recipe for camera disappointment. I would be very careful. Check out the NX-10 review at www.dcresource.com and Steve's.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:07 PM   #89
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
As i stated before, a couple of UK based Photography mags didn't give the Sony a great write up.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9875/42782511.png
Look... if you really want to believe that there are metering differences like that between the A230 and A450 for the same image, with them claiming accurate metering for the A230 and a tendency towards overexposure with the A450, based on a review with a couple of photos in some magazine, be my guest.

They both use the same 40 segment honeycomb pattern metering sensor and I really doubt the basic metering algorithms are significantly different either, unless there were some settings differences between them (which I'd suspect, as not all "reviewers" pay attention to that kind of thing and make sure a camera is set to factory defaults for testing). The A550 also uses the same metering system (as well as sensor and processing engine) as the A450, and I noticed no metering tendency towards overexposure with it, after taking a lot of photos with one in a wide variety of conditions.

I'd take any reviews you read with a "grain of salt" unless they include full size, unmodified images with EXIF information, so that you can see the camera settings used to take a photo.

If someone posted those same images here complaining about overexposure problems with one camera versus the other, I'd look at the EXIF and try to figure out what was set differently causing it.

It may have been set to use a +EV setting with exposure compensation making it give a brighter exposure than metered, or they may have been using an odd picture style setting, or they may have been using one of the DRO settings causing brighter exposures, or it may have been set to use spot versus matrix metering, or the focus point may have been set to a darker area causing it (since matrix metering systems tend to weight the focus point more), etc.

Without unmodified original images (which you don't get with downsized samples in a magazine), I don't know what caused it. But, I don't think the camera would behave that way if it was set to factory defaults (and I doubt it was from what I can see of those samples)

In any event, even if it exposed brighter (which I doubt), both cameras are highly tunable via picture styles, exposure compensation, DRO settings and more. Yet, the A450 has a better sensor with lower noise levels and higher available ISO speeds, much better battery life, much faster speed of operation, a better feature set, better ergonomics, and more.

Any review comparing them side by side claiming the A230 is better is just plain wrong in my book.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:42 PM   #90

I am going to try the Sony A450 on Tuesday. I can get it for 285 with 18-55mm lens and for 179 I can get a sony 75-300 (SONY SAL 75300AE)
(total 464). 1 year warranty. (is the lens any good?)

The pentax one I can get for 428 with Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera + 18-55mm Zoom Lens & 50-200mm Zoom Lens. 1 year warranty.

Or from another dealer Pentax K-x (Blue)
Pentax smc DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens
Pentax smc DA 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED Lens

529.99 with 5 year warranty.

I suppose I am spoilt for choice and great prices. I will see how it goes on Tuesday. Anyone got any ideas to influence my decision.