Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Compact Travel Zoom - Can't decide

Hello,
I am wanting to buy a compact travel zoom camera and have read the group test on dpreview and many opinions on this site but all that has done is confuse the matter even more.
My initial choices are between :

Fuji F70exr or F80exr (UK prices F70 approx 120 / F80 145)
Casio EX-FH100 (Uk price 185)
Samsung WB650 or WB600 (UK price WB650 240 / WB600 210)

I currently have a Fuji F31fd but would like more zoom. The camera will be used mainly for pictures / videos of my kids both indoor and outdoor.
Image quality is of most importance to me for both indoor and outdoor shots. The video is just a nice to have along with any other extras each camera might have. The only reason I am considering the Samsung WB650 over the WB600 is the AMOLED screen as the GPS facility is of no importance to me.
Like I say I have read so many reviews and opinions that I just can't see the wood for the trees now !
As they are all roughly the same price apart from the WB650 which one would you say is the best choice for image quality or are they all much of a muchness.
Hope someone can help so I can finally buy a camera and stop searching for reviews !
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2

rando-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

The Fuji F-70 will give you the best image quality. However, you must realize that the EXR system requires a lot of small constant adjustments to get that image quality. Most folks do not want to do that.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:27 PM   #3

You might want to check out Panasonic ZS-x compacts. They produce excellent IQ, are easy to use, have great zoom, and good features.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
rando-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

The Fuji F-70 will give you the best image quality. However, you must realize that the EXR system requires a lot of small constant adjustments to get that image quality. Most folks do not want to do that.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you for the reply. I would be most folks then as I would prefer not to be fiddling with the camera all the time. I have also been reading the thread on the Sony HX5V and although I do not require the GPS feature it does appear to get decent reviews and needs little intervention to get a decent shot. I do note though that you initially didn't seem to impressed with the HX5V but then seemed to give it a good rating. I know this is slightly more money than the others I listed but do you think this would be a good choice given the places I want to take pictures.
I do realise that all the camera's in the P&S segment will need some sort of compromise so I am just looking to get the best balance for my money.
The more I read though the more confused I get.!!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 1:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
You might want to check out Panasonic ZS-x compacts. They produce excellent IQ, are easy to use, have great zoom, and good features.
I have read lots of reviews on the Panasonics (TZ range in the UK) but they seem to get poor reviews on picture quality indoors or in poor light.
The TZ7 was the one I was looking at and I jX know this has been replaced by the TZ10. Do you own either of these to give an opinion on ?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:22 PM   #6

rando -

Yes, I own the TZ-10 and it does indeed have a rather weak built-in flash unit. It takes great photos outdoors, but trips badly indoors. My work around was to get an accessory Slave Flash, and that has taken care of the problem.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
I have read lots of reviews on the Panasonics (TZ range in the UK) but they seem to get poor reviews on picture quality indoors or in poor light.
The TZ7 was the one I was looking at and I jX know this has been replaced by the TZ10. Do you own either of these to give an opinion on ?
If low light is a factor, then you might want to reconsider that Fuji. The cameras with the backlit sensor (like the Casio FH100, Sony HX5V, etc) offer slight low-light improvements but generally at the cost of sharpness amongst other things.

You really do have to compromise.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:13 AM   #8

U can choose sony HX5v which is the camera of year 2010 PMA ...and really it is a nice camera ... it really perfroms very well in low light condition . i do understand that in this forum few people really dont like sony hx5v ..but every one is having their own perception .. u just check this one
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35803612

It will give u the positive feed back about sony hx5v...
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:11 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies and views so far.
(can't seem to find a thank you button on a reply)
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsaman View Post
U can choose sony HX5v which is the camera of year 2010 PMA ...and really it is a nice camera ... it really perfroms very well in low light condition . i do understand that in this forum few people really dont like sony hx5v ..but every one is having their own perception .. u just check this one
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35803612

It will give u the positive feed back about sony hx5v...
Handpicking a specific post will of course give you the feedback you're hoping for. lol If you look around the dpreview forum though, there are a lot more negative posts than positive ones about the HX5V.

That said, you're certainly right that everyone has their own perceptions. I think the IQ and lens are both mediocre at best, sound is terrible, barrel distortion is a pain and NR is way over the top. My wife however is very happy with the camera because it is so easy to use. There are virtually no options and no control with the HX5V and that's exactly how she likes it. It all depends on what your needs are.

Also take note however that the HX5V is only better than competing cams with traditional tiny CCD sensors. It is by no means a good low-light performer. You can't shoot anything that moves more than a head turn with HHT mode. The best option is still a camera with a bigger sensor.