Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:49 AM   #1

Default DLSR Help

Good Morning,

My husband and I are in the market for a new DSLR. I have been reading reviews and ratings for weeks and am starting to feel overwhelmed. We would like a DSLR for two different purposes. He would like to shoot better indoor photos for his e-bay business (sometimes this may include some macro work). I, on the other hand, would love to utilize this camera for shots of children, animals, and a little landscape. I am a past student of photography, but have only been trained with a manual SLR. I am ready to move up in the world. J
We have been looking at the Canon T1i and T2i, the Nikon D5000 and D90 and the Pentax K-7. We are interested in the video features these cameras offer, but are not limited if someone has a better suggestion. Our budget is $1000 for the camera, lens, memory card and a bag. Thank you so much for any and all feedback!
TaylorMade7407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2

With a $1,000 budget, because of the things you want to do and the things you need, you're limited to the Nikon D5000 and Canon T1i. Your choice is further narrowed by the fact that the D5000 doesn't have a built-in autofocus motor, so any macro lens your husband uses will be manual focus. That leaves the T1i.

But that's actually a very good choice. It will do what you want quite well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:04 AM   #3

Thank you so much the the feedback TCav. Is our budget too low for the type of camera we would need? If need be we can always hold of a little longer and save more.

Last edited by TaylorMade7407; Jul 15, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
TaylorMade7407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:21 AM   #4

The T1i is a fine camera. It will do everything you want, and do it well. The Nikon D90 and Canon T2i might be slightly better at some things, but not enough to make much difference, and the longer you go without a dSLR, the longer it will take you to reach that additional potential, if, in fact, you ever did.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:32 AM   #5

Here's a nice package: http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IA.html

(I don't generally endorse packages because the accessory items tend not to be very good. I just included the link to it here so you could get an idea of how much a similar kit might cost.)

For your husband's macro work, you can get either the Canon 50mm f/2.5 ($265) or the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 ($299).

If you need something longer, there's the Tamron 70-300 Di LD 1:2 Macro ($165) or the Tamron 55-200 Di-II LD ($165). They're not great lenses, but they're as good or better than anything else at twice the price.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:12 PM   #6

Pentax k-x with the 2 lens kit for 699 dollars on amazon, 18-55 and 55-300. Very good camera, excellent kit lenses. And does nice HD video. The sigma has a 50mm 2.8 for the pentax mount also. This whole package will be very close to your budget, and would be a excellent kit. I shoot the K-x and it is just as good as my T1i.

But if HD is really important, canon is the only one that shots at 1080p. I shoot a T1i and it does nice videos also. But the T2i is a much better tool for video, as it lets you add external mic, so the camera will not pick up the camera refocusing.

With the canon 50mm and the sigma 50mm, I would go with the sigma, it is a true 1:1 macro lens. I had the canon 50mm before upgrading the 100mm 2.8, the 50mm is nice but if macro is big, get a true 1:1 macro lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 15, 2010 at 4:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:47 AM   #7

One thing people haven't discussed is a flash, or lighting. If your husband really wants to take high quality photos of his products for eBay, a decent flash really, REALLY helps. Yes, many of the cameras everyone's talking about do very well in low light, and you could probably just do high ISO shots, and the noise won't be noticeable in the small eBay photos, but nice hotshoe (or off-camera!) flashes make everything look really nice.

I'm a fan of Sigma's 500 series. They're as good as the OEM flashes, but way cheaper. The EF-530 DG super is $150. http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-EF-530-i.../dp/B000XAT9BI

And for much of indoor photography, nothing works better than a nice bounce flash. Sure, you're pretty obvious when you use it, but it really makes the scene more usable.

And if you're doing macro work, you may want to think about a ring flash. They're pricier, but they illuminate macro shots much better. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3A8MMZPD3EJJD6

We'll see what the experts say, but I would budget $150 for at least the Sigma flash.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Pentax k-x with the 2 lens kit for 699 dollars on amazon, 18-55 and 55-300. Very good camera, excellent kit lenses. And does nice HD video. The sigma has a 50mm 2.8 for the pentax mount also. This whole package will be very close to your budget, and would be a excellent kit. I shoot the K-x and it is just as good as my T1i.

But if HD is really important, canon is the only one that shots at 1080p. I shoot a T1i and it does nice videos also. But the T2i is a much better tool for video, as it lets you add external mic, so the camera will not pick up the camera refocusing.
Yes, the K-X is getting good ratings. The old "economy" Pentax film camera, the K-1000 had a legacy for being bulletproof, and everyone is wondering if this is the new digital version of that camera. It will also work with all Pentax lenses, which is very nice.

And yes, if you want a Rebel with video, go for the T2i. It will shoot video on par with the 7D, probably the best DSLR HD video out there. People are buying the T2i just for that. For me, I prefer the build quality of the Canon 50D, but it doesn't do video. You can find a lightly used one of those with one lens for about $1100 if you look hard.

Don't forget to look at Olympus as well, they are my favorite underdog! An E-620 with 2 lenses will run you 8 to $900, and the kit lenses and camera build are very good.

Last edited by photophreak; Jul 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
photophreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:10 PM   #9

The e620 is a excellent camera, I like the olympus line very well.