Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:33 PM   #11

MacMum-

I think that pretty well frees you from a financial reason to focus on Pentax. You have received a lot of good information thus far. So considering your long term ambitions, and your budget situation, can we get a budget figure to work with and and strong desires you might have about particular brands.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:33 PM   #12

Yes you are correct it does free me from being tied to pentax. My budget is going to be in the sub 1000 range. I would like to try to keep it around 800$ as the highest price point. I work with about 10 wedding photographers and they all use Nikon. That is about the only strong feeling I have about brands. I know Nikon has the reputation of being pricey but the "best" so to speak. I don't have (nor do I want to) pay for the "name" though. I want the best camera for me for the price I can pay. Thanks for all of your help!
TheMacMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:57 PM   #13

MacMum-

Thanks for the information. That is excellent experience that you are working with some wedding photographers.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:15 PM   #14

well nikon's entry dslr the d5000 is just mid of the pack in this segment. But nikon does have the best flash system on the market. You will really need to move up past the 1000 mark for a good nikon dslr with just one lens.

But with what you are thinking about doing, you will be wanting some bright lenses. And they do cost a bit of money, that can easily surpass your budget. None of the kit lenses will give you the performance for low light shooting for the wedding and the banquet afterward.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:24 PM   #15

Do you see yourself going into wedding photography and getting a full frame dslr one day. The big 2 wedding full frame cameras are the canon 5DMKII and the D700. But these are 2500 dollar bodies. But nikon and canon will give you access to the largest pro lenses selection on the market.

So if you do see yourself shooting pro one day, you will may really want to get a canon or nikon.

To keep it with in your budget and have the head of the pack in an entry dslr. I would look at a canon T1i. It is about 720 with the kit lens 18-55. It will leave you some room to get a bright lens in the 2.8 or better range for indoor shooting. And you will want to invest in a good external flash also.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:27 PM   #16

What is the other lens by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMum View Post
I just pulled the Pentax down and one (1) lens that was with it is a 35-80mm. It looked in fair condition. It seemed all parts turned, no obvious damage to the lens etc. I don't mind buying another lens if I need.

If video is not possible then I can live without it. Thanks for all your help everyone. Oh and I am in the US. I know the "mum" throws people off!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:44 PM   #17

There isn't another lens. My husband was mistaken. Oh and I don't want to do weddings! At all!!! Never ever. Ha. I'm just not that person. I want to take pictures of babies and families. I don't like posed studio work so I can imagine shooting outdoors mainly. Right now I am looking to get started with an entry level camera.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:46 PM   #18

I've heard good things about the canon. I'm going to go research it. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:47 PM   #19

Well if wedding is not big, and not studio work. The pentax is back on the board with the canon t1i. Both are excellent entry level dslr, the pentax is better bang bang for. But if you do see yourself getting a full frame camera one day, get the canon instead.

I shoot both the pentax and the canon

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 15, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:40 PM   #20

I was looking over the Pentax and noticed that it had HDR "in-house". I forgot to mention that I love HDR. Is that a feature that actually works? Is HDR something I should just continue to do on my Mac?

And very vain, I know, but I love that Red Pentax! That is totally swaying me and I feel bad for it. Ha!