Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:23 PM   #1

Default another newbie thread, imagine that! (digital)

HI GOOD PEOPLE!
lurked/searched around a good bit but alas i must make another "what camera should i buy" post/thread, but i guess that why this forum is here. i took notes and composed this over a couple days of research so please bear with me:

so we have had a Sony for a few years and we've been generally happy with it. it's probably close to 5 years old and has had some wear and tear and there's a busted button (taped back on, still functioning, barely) but it's really time for a new camera.

would like to get another Sony, mostly cuz i already have a 1-gb sony pro duo memory card. but memory is cheaper these days so i would consider another brand.

we love taking pictures, especially of our little boy, and certainly need option of taking video as well.

what would you recommend? we'd really like to stay under $200-250, so obviously we aren't looking to get all the bells and whistles or anything that's super high-end. but would spend more for the right camera... seems some of the new point and shoot digicams are high priced cuz they have a touch screen (no thanks) or can shoot in HD.

saw a cousin at a wedding who had a killer zoom (not sure exact specs, but definitely made me want more/good zoom). dont think i need 20x, but certainly more than 3 or 4x. wonder if 5x or 6x would be good considering how long i've had 3x. but i've checked out a few at 10x and 14x.

the Canon SX210S has 14x and lithium battery.... but it's $315
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...-wl_item-added
the Canon SX120IS has 10x but takes AA batteries.... only $190.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...-wl_item-added

Pretty sure that SX120is cant zoom during video. I think the other one can.

more questions: some of these boast HD video. that's fine if i'm playing back on HD tv, but most often these vids are posted on Facebook and/or watched/shared on computers. will it still look "better" or is HD just adding price for something i dont need/use? (we have the HD tv in the basement and could playback there, but it would be rare)

Iíve seen a few good ones that take AA batteries (and most peeps recommend getting rechargeables)Ö. i understand the concept of rechargeable batteries and how AA could be easier... but since we currently dont own rechargeables... and something about the idea of burning thru batteries instead of just having a lithium/charger. i dont know which way to go on that. But 4 AAís and a charger would add $50 onÖ.

was really looking for a Canon cuz most peeps have said thatís the way to go. (but Iíve also heard Sony as well, and as I mentioned I liked my last sony.)

one weird sticking point is that i really want to be able to use the zoom in/out WHILE RECORDING video. a lot of models you have to zoom before you hit record and then that's it. this spec is hard to find without reading indepth reviews.

of course, i also want high optical zoom (at least 6x, 10 would be sweet).
the Sony Cybershot DSC-H55 is 14 megapixel with 10x optical zoom and 3" screen. nice. and it lets you zoom during video. it also takes sony memory cards and SD cards... it's around $230, and the leader in the clubhouse.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-sho...=2YHHPVIXTMRVW

anyway, we're novice-but-good point/shooters. drive myself crazy reading reviews. you think you like something and then one reviewer says yea this is a good camera but the photos dont come out good. or, oh this is fine but indoors or low light looks grainy!

i'm sure most/all of these look good enough for our purposes.

the more research the more confusion.

read enough reviews/forums and you'll find a few people shitting all over a cam you were about to decide was the one.

hearing about the Panasonic ZR1 now.... and this Nikon looks interesting.....
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Coolpix-...9301540&sr=1-3

but it takes batteries so i'd need to buy rechargeables and a charger.
a little bulky for our tastes...
starting to push the price range. looks good tho

ugh... still leaning toward that sony h55

and depsite this really long post i forgot to say THANKS in advance for any advice.
TLF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:36 PM   #2

okay i think i just found out that Nikon coolpix L100 cant zoom during video....
did i mention i was confused?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:39 PM   #3

still hoping for some feedback, thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:23 PM   #4

TLF-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The reason that you have not had any real responses is that (1) you have not provided a budget. (2) You have not really made it clear what features you are specifically looking for in your new camera.

Therefore to get this thread moving and pending more information, I will begin with a suggestion of the Kodak Z-950 which got really good notice and a review in the DPR Travel Zoom Review. www.Amazon.com has it on sale right now for $135.95.

The Z-950 has 10X optical zoom, full HD video and you can zoom while filming, a very good built-in flash unit, all in a very small and pocket-able size.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:00 PM   #5

thanks Sarah.

thought i did mention a budget range in my original post and having around 10x optical zoom and zoom during video is 2 main features i'm looking for.... and obviously you picked up on that. so thanks again.

i will certainly look at that, and welcome anymore comments from others. also curious peoples thoughts on that Sony H55 i mentioned or any others mentioned in this thread.

thanks everyone.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:25 PM   #6

TLF-

The Sony H-55 is a de-tuned HX-5 camera with a conventional 14mp CCD format imager, rather than the back lighted CMOS imager that the HX5 uses. It has received so-so reviews and suffers from very high pixel density, just like the Canon SX-210, which reduces image quality in general, and especially at the long end of the zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:41 AM   #7

Sarah, that deal on the Kodak Z90 looks tough to beat. not just price (though that's great too).

at the moment i do a lot of "auto" modes (as does the wife) but this one does offer plenty of manual options to get into later when i learn more. seems many good point and shoots are TOO auto or dont offer enough manual settings for those that actually know what they're doing.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:32 AM   #8

The Kodak Z-950 is a very creditable camera. No it does not have a 25mm wide angle but it is very capable of really good photos and excellent HD videos. I own one myself.I have attached a photo sample. This was taken Friday evening at 7:45pm.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:16 AM   #9

thanks again.

i think i'm ready to pull the trigger on this Z950. i like(d) the sony, but for almost the same specs at a much lower price, i dont think i'll beat this kodak.

i do have another question... actually i posted it in the memory card forum under "class 6 vs class 10" if you dont mind checking that out.

also, you said you own this.... i was thinking of waiting till in was in my hand before getting a case. this is likely a bit more bulky than most compact cams. i like a snug/safe fit, but would also like an extra pocket or space for battery. let me know if you know of one, or i'll just grab something generic once i have the camera in hand.

thanks again for your help!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:56 AM   #10

TLF-

I use my Kodak Z-950 without a case. I just put it in my purse. The small size makes it very convenient. That may not apply in your case.

I have found that all I need is a class 6 card. The class 10 card is just added cost.

Sarah Joyce