Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:55 PM   #1

Default Tiny point & shoot to supplement SLR

I'm looking for a point and shoot camera to supplement my digital SLR (Nikon D70 with 20mm & 18-200 DX VR lenses).

Although I prefer to shoot with lenses my camera is very heavy and I have a few upcoming situations when I can't use it (festival that doesn't allow detachable lenses, wedding in which I will be too dressed up to carry a heavy bag).

I would like something that fits in my pocket and that I can throw in my purse and take pictures every day without planning ahead. My SLR comes with me to large events (although its a pain to carry, quite honestly) when I think there will be good photo opportunities. I'm a woman with small hands so tiny buttons or holding is not an issue for me.

Portrait photoraphy is my thing (these were shot with my D70 and these portraits with my Canon s60. I'm not planning on using this new point and shoot for travel photography but I am attending an Indian wedding which should have some great shots (I don't want to carry my SLR while wearing a saree!).

I'm hoping to get something for under $200.

• Wider lenses are much more important than telephoto. My last point and shoot was a Canon s60 and was chosen for the lens.
  • 8+ megapixels
  • Easy to navigate menus. I don't want to have to flip through to find shooting modes. This was a factor choosing a Nikon SLR over Canon.
  • I like shooting in low light without flash. My 18-200 lens isn't great for this either and I'm not sure if I can find anything in my price range.

Unimportant:
  • Large screens, flip screens. I have great eyesight. I'm also used to shooting through a viewfinder so screens aren't my thing.
  • I don't like molded grips — this thing needs to be sleek. If it fits in my pants pocket even better.
  • Aperture/shutter priority are great but not key.
  • I am a professional designer and have been using Photoshop for 15 years. I do not need any in-camera editing.
  • I'm a bit of a snob against Kodak, Fuji etc. For some reason Sony doesn't fall into this category of non-traditional camera companies for me but maybe one of you will show me the light. I'm mostly focusing on Canon, Nikon and Sony as they seem to have the sleekest cameras.

Models considered so far:
  • Canon s90 looks nice but is probably out of my price range.
  • Nikon CoolPix s3000; s70
  • Canon SD780is

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

Last edited by Bunglegirl; Jul 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM. Reason: revised models considered
Bunglegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:16 PM   #2

bunglegirl-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The Canon S-90 is the best match for your needs. It is currently on sale at www.newegg.com for $299.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:19 PM   #3

I am in the same boat, can not seem to decide on a good point and shoot to go with my dslr and evil camera.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:08 PM   #4

I love my Panasonic ZS7. I know everyone says the low light and the smaller sensor is a negative but I have had no problems in low light if you shoot the recommended distances. If you go beyond that use a slave flash.
Warren83
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren83 View Post
I love my Panasonic ZS7. I know everyone says the low light and the smaller sensor is a negative but I have had no problems in low light if you shoot the recommended distances. If you go beyond that use a slave flash.
Warren83
I don't seem to have problems with my ZS-3. Just stay within the guidelines recommended.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:57 AM   #6

Thanks for everyone's responses.

mtclimber, can you explain why you think the s90 is the best match? Are the less expensive models I mention so bad that you think I won't be happy with them and would be better off spending the extra $100?

I'm glad to see two people like the ZS-3. However, it looks to have a molded edge/grip which I'm not fond of. I'm looking for sleek and those tend to catch on my pocket and not fit in small spaces as well. Its also out of my price range. I don't even carry a slave flash for my SLR, certainly not for a tiny point and shoot! Thanks though.

I'm surprised - I thought this would be a common thing for SLR shooters to need...
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:06 AM   #7

bunglegirl-

The majority of DSLR users go to the Canon S-90 for its much better image quality, high ISO capability, its measurably larger imager, the ability to shot manual and auto modes, the fact that it has RAW, and its unique smallness.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:15 AM   #8

I didn't like the pop-up flash on the S-90 and I needed a wide 25mm that the Panasonic ZS7 has.
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:39 AM   #9

Thanks for the clarification Sarah. I do like a lot of the features of the s90 but don't feel the need for RAW or that much manual control. Perhaps if I could get it for $300 (it seems to be sold out at that price everywhere)...

Warren, I agree that pop up flashes can be annoying and I like a wider angle but there seems to be a lot, at first glance, about the ZS7 that I don't like. I'll give it a more in-depth look. Still, much more money than I planned on spending.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 1:48 PM   #10

bunglegirl-

The S-90 has broken through the $300 price level, and will probably go lower if a new model is introduced. An alternative camera if you do not need RAW and much manual control would be the Canon SD-4000, that also has a F 2.0 lens.

Sarah Joyce