Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which P&S would you choose as a compliment to your DSLR?
Casio Exilim EX-FH100 1 20.00%
Panasonic ZS7 3 60.00%
Other (From OP: Please specify in a quick reply) 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:06 PM   #1

Default Need feedback to help me choose between the Pany ZS3/ZS7 or Casio EX-FH100

Can I just say ... WOW! I have read, re-read, and read-again tons and tons of reviews, forum discussions, and reviewed sample photos from each.

Can anyone help me make a decision by weighing in on your opinion?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 (or ZS3 - a little better photo quality possibly)
vs.
Casio Exilim EX-FH100

I have a Nikon D80 w/ a few lenses and LOVE it. I have been using a Casio Exilim EX-Z50 5MP from 2005 as my P&S and have been happy with it for what it is. But, the photos can be SO noisy in certain circumstances. It is time to upgrade to something that will help me produce photos that come a bit closer to my DSLR.

What's important to me:
Battery Life
HD Video
Zoom
Burst Mode
Image Quality
Portability

My main uses will be for taking with me on hikes, bicycling, motorcycling, cruises, and anywhere where the DSLR just isn't as feasible or convenient.

I LOVE the battery life of the Casio Exilim P&S's ...absolutely amazing!! The other items mentioned are 'about' (read that with a grain of salt) the same between the ZS7/ZS3 and the FH100. Both have some issues, as do all P&S's, with noise ... and maybe the FH100 a bit more.

Can anyone give some insight and steer me in a particular direction? I think the FH100 can be had at Walmart for $269. The best price on the ZS7 is around $$280 at Abes of Main. So, about the same w/ tax.

Thoughts?

Note: Believe it or not, I did narrow it from 3 down to 2 -- I took the Canon SX210 IS out of the running. A few features/items that mattered enough to me weren't included on the SX210.

Thanks!
Brian
woodcycl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:32 PM   #2

You can't zoom during video with the Casio FH100 so I would rule that out for any video usage. The ZS7 only does about 3 pics in full resolution burst mode. Although image quality is a mixed bag, you might want to check out the Sony HX5V for your particular needs.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:15 AM   #3

Brian-

You probably read the DPR review on travel zoom cameras. That is what lead me to the Casio FH-100. However, I ended up returning it due to poor image quality and the 10 minute video limit.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Brian-

You probably read the DPR review on travel zoom cameras. That is what lead me to the Casio FH-100. However, I ended up returning it due to poor image quality and the 10 minute video limit.

Sarah Joyce
What is your overall recommendation given those downsides to the FH100?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:07 PM   #5

Brian-

My choice would be the TZ-10/ZS-7, if your budget does not allow the ZS-7/TZ-10, the options are the ZS-6 available at Costco, and the ZS-3/TZ-5.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Brian-

My choice would be the TZ-10/ZS-7, if your budget does not allow the ZS-7/TZ-10, the options are the ZS-6 available at Costco, and the ZS-3/TZ-5.

Sarah Joyce
I agree totally and would've already jumped on the TZ7 if the Burst Rate were useful. This is the main missing feature that keeps me from pulling the trigger on the Pany. I have been looking at the Sony DSC-HX5V which at least offers the 10 fps. The other contendors I was considering early on were those mentiond above and the Fuji F80-EXR and Canon SX210 IS. Seems pretty difficult to find a P&S in this category that does it all and does all things at least good.

What are your thoughts given the Burst Rate feature?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:58 PM   #7

brian-

The choice in the travel zoom camera niche, for lack of a better word or description, is indeed very limited in terms of really creditable cameras. At least for me the Burst rate is not a priority issue. Indoor image quality, to me, is the big issue, and my solution to poor indoor image quality was to add a good Slave Flash to assist that under powered Panasonic ZS-7 built-in flash unit.

I looked at the Casio FH-100 and even purchased the camera, but ended up returning the camera for less than stellar image quality, and the 10 minute video restriction.

I looked at the Canon SX-210 seriously but did not buy it due to its reviews.

I looked at and purchased the HX5 and ended up "e-baying" it for poor WB, poor HD video sound, and color distortion at high ISO settings.

So by default, the ZS7 became my choice and I have been pleased with it performance after I added the Slave Flash to rescue the indoor image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:39 AM   #8

Just ordered the ZS7 from Abes of Main w/ a best price of $280. I bought a kit including 2 batteries, charger, and charger and a 16gb Sandisk Class 6 SDHC card from Amazon. I should be ready to go in a day or two. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9

woodcycl-

Congratulations on your new ZS7. I am sure that you will enjoy the camera a lot. Have fun!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:39 PM   #10

Congrats!!! You will love it.. I do..
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote