Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1

Default New Cam - low light but all around

I really hate starting this thread as there is so much info out there. but i'm really hoping some experts will chime in and help me out.

I'm looking for a camera that can be used for family - point and shoot. We mostly take pictures indoors (grainy pictures were always an issues with our past cameras). So this time as it's time for upgrade as memories are just passing us I've decided that we might need to increase our budget. I'd rather stay within or around 500 CAD. If less will be even better if more be it - as I've just waiting money away on cheap cameras.

I had my heart set on S90 - i've done all the homework but i guess i never picked up on the issue with the loose ring on the back of the camera. Fellow at the store pointed it out. I was going to buy it regardless as this cam seems to be amazing - but he just kept on discouraging me and kept on recommending fuji f200EXR (I think).

I'm not big on fuji cams so I left and I'm back here again.

please help me out. If you have S90 let me know whether that ring is actually an issue (accidental changes to settings), how is it in auto mode??. What other cameras should i be looking at? There just seems to be soo many options. - My key requirements is to ensure the camera takes good pics indoors. Please help me out.
szymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:11 AM   #2

syzmek-

I own and use the Canon S-90 extensively. I have never had a problem with the control wheel on the back of the camera, even once. The S-90 is a great camera and very, very capable, as well. Its finish is a bit slippery so the accessory grip works very well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 1:36 PM   #3

If low light is the big thing, the s90 is the best low light in a compact camera currently with a f2 lens and a larger sensor. It is a really good camera.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:51 PM   #4

S90 or a Panasonic LX3 for a low light, pocketable camera. The Fuji EXR series are good cams though - not sure why you don't like Fujis. They're not terribly user-friendly though - a lot of fiddling to get the best pic on those.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:19 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses.

I went back to my local camera store to play around with it. Fellow there showed me another cam to consider - SD4000 - Seems to have pretty much all the same features as S90. But I actually I like all the controls on the S90 rather than going through menus. And build quality of S90 to me seemed a lot better.

So yesterday I bought the S90. Cam is fantastic and I'm quite happy that I got it.
szymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6

szymek-

Congratulations on your new Canon S-90. I also have one and it is a great camera. I know you will really enjoy it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote