Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:12 PM   #1

Default wanted: two seperate control wheels for shutter speed and aperture

I wish I could continue to use all my old Pentax 35mm's for everything. I love darkrooms, film, my ten different lenses, and especially HIGH levels of control over my photographs. I have gotten by with a mid-level point and shoot to supplement my film camera, but am now looking to invest in a dSLR.

Talking with some employees it seems that having seperate control wheels for shutter speed and aperture is something that is not available til the price scale tips well above a $1000. I could go above $1000 with my price point, but only if absolutely necessary to obtain that feature. I just really want/need a camera that focuses on ease of manual use. I don't need other fancy auto settings. I will be traveling a lot, so weight, size, and durability are a consideration. I would also like to have only one, possibly two versitile lenses. I shoot portraits, landscapes, wildlife, and action.

I have been reading hundreds of reviews, but would love some direction so I can get this thing bought and start playing!

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!
bobE022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2010, 9:43 PM   #2

pentax k-7, all your lenses will work if they are k mounts, and it has 2 control wheels.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. The k-7 will stay on my list, it looks like a fantastic option, but it's a bit of a reach finacially. Are there any choices that are not so pricey?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:39 PM   #4

not really, pentax only have the k-7 and the k-x currently. The k-x is a great camera also, I shoot it at times. But it only has 1 control wheel.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:47 PM   #5

The only other thing I can think of is if you can find a left over k10d. It has 2 control wheels, was a pretty good camera when it was out, before getting replace by the k7.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions! while using my old pentax lenses would be nice, since I am traveling that might not be an option. So I am open to other brands.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:57 PM   #7

all the 2 wheel camera will be around the price of the k7 actually at 1100 dollars. The canon d50, nikon d90, sony a700 and olympus e30.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:42 AM   #8
Administrator

Two control wheels can be nice.

But, if you're using Aperture Priority mode (which is the mode I use more often), then you really don't need two control wheels, since you can select the Aperture and let the camera select the shutter speed.

Then, just use Exposure Compensation (which is usually just pressing a +- button and using the control wheel to dial in a brighter or darker exposure than the camera metered by using the scale in your viewfinder, just as you'd do shooting in manual exposure). Basically, if shooting in Aperture Priority and you dial in a -EV setting for a darker exposure than metered (needle to the left of center), the camera is going to use a faster shutter speed to give you a darker exposure; or if you dial in a +EV setting, the camera is going to use a slower shutter speed to give you a brighter exposure than metered.

Or, if you want to shoot in Shutter Priority mode (where you select the Shutter speed and the camera selects the aperture for you), the control wheel would control your shutter speed, and you can press and hold a +- button and spin the control wheel to dial in a brighter or darker exposure than metered (in which case, the camera is going to vary the aperture to give you that brighter or darker exposure than metered, since you're selecting the desired shutter speed to use).

That's much easier compared to using manual exposure in rapidly changing lighting, and accomplishes the same thing.

Now, if you do want to use Manual Exposure, where you're setting both the shutter speed and aperture yourself (which is more practical in lighting that is not changing much and/or you have a specific reason you don't want it to vary with lighting changes, or you're shooting subjects that may fool a metering system); it's also pretty easy to do with one control wheel.

A modern dSLR is going to default so that the single control wheel is either aperture or shutter speed (and some models allow you to select the default in their setup menus). Then, when you want to change the opposite setting (for example, shutter speed if the default for the control wheel is aperture), just press and hold a +- button and spin the control wheel to change the other setting, using the meter in the viewfinder as a guide to how your settings are impacting exposure.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:33 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobE022 View Post
Talking with some employees it seems that having seperate control wheels for shutter speed and aperture is something that is not available til the price scale tips well above a $1000.
buydig.com (a reputable vendor), has the Pentax K7 including an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens for $999 with free shipping now, so you can use your existing Pentax lenses.

Add it to your cart and you'll see the discounted price.

http://steves-digicams.nextag.com/no...QbYnmcsmXK8%3D

Note that you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for a given focal length lens on a camera using an APS-C size sensor, as compared to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera. Just multiply by 1.5x to see how they compare.

For example, an 18-55mm lens on the Pentax K7 will give you the same angle of view as a 27-88mm lens on a 35mm camera. That's one reason that an 18-55mm lens is the typical kit lens with most dSLRs (versus something like a 28-85mm kit lens you may find with a 35mm camera). So, keep angle of view in mind when lens shopping for a dSLR (as sometimes, you can only back up so far to fit what you want to shoot into the frame).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobE022 View Post
Talking with some employees it seems that having seperate control wheels for shutter speed and aperture is something that is not available til the price scale tips well above a $1000. ...
I don't know about the Oly EPL1 but the EP1/EP2 both allow you to configure the camera so that one wheel controls the aperture and the other controls the shutter.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote