Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:50 PM   #1

Default Upgrade SLR

Hello,
Now that I upgraded my P&S I might be looking at upgrading my Canon Rebel XT 8 megapixel. I have the Kit lens and one older zoom lens with no IS.

Any recommendations? I like shooting wildlife and indoor portraits.

Thanks Warren
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:52 PM   #2

a good flash for the indoors portraits. The canon ef 70-300mm does a nice job with wildlife, just a bit short for bird, you will want the Bigma for birds.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:05 PM   #3

I am wondering if I could just add a better lens to my XT or would it be wiser to buy a new camera with better more powerful features.

Warren
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:19 PM   #4

warren - you'll need a much better lens for wildlife. A new camera alone won't do it. To be sure a newer DSLR will help - the focus system on the XT isn't very good and the high ISO performance is a couple stops below today's current batch. What type of wildlife do you want to shoot?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
warren - you'll need a much better lens for wildlife. A new camera alone won't do it. To be sure a newer DSLR will help - the focus system on the XT isn't very good and the high ISO performance is a couple stops below today's current batch. What type of wildlife do you want to shoot?
I mainly shoot birds but anything outdoors that lives is a prime candidate for taking a picture. I also like portraits indoor and out.
Warren
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:28 PM   #6

Warren - the first step towards portrait use is external flash. Then an upgraded lens or two. There is no single portrait lens - much depends on the style of the portrait. But you'll need to get and learn flash use.

As for Birds - you'll want a 400-500mm lens. There are 3 popular lenses in canon - 100-400L (the lens I use), 400mm 5.6 (focuses faster but not a zoom) and the Bigma the other poster mentioned. The Bigma has the most reach, but it's also the heaviest and has no stabilization so it can be difficult without tripod or monopod. You're going to find 300mm frustratingly short. Heck, I find 400mm frustratingly short. Shorter lenses are fine for birds like seagulls that will fly 10 feet from you in a parking lot - but those get boring after a while. There are a couple photographers that use a 300mm lens, but that requires quite a bit of skill to stalk and get close.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:32 PM   #7

One that concerns me is the focus system on the XT. I feel this might be in need of updating which will require me to purchase a new SLR. I might start looking at the Nikon.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:26 PM   #8

Does anyone know what Canon would be the upgrade from the XT?
Thanks
Warren
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:31 PM   #9

it was replace by the XS and XSi, then the T1i and T2i
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
it was replace by the XS and XSi, then the T1i and T2i
Thanks for the fast reply...now my next step is to compare each. I will also be looking at the Nikon.

Warren