Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:38 AM   #1

Default Olympus E-PL1 vs Sony NEX-5 vs Canon T1i?

Hello:

I'm seriously considering buying the Olympus E-PL1...but I just can't seem to pull the trigger... so many choices. I had a chance yesterday to try out the Sony NEX-5 at a local store and found it very appealing. The build quality is awesome and it feels great in the hand.

The major downside to both the E-PL1 and NEX-5 is a lack of viewfinder. I take a lot of nature photography and bright sunlight on the LCD is a problem.

I know you can buy an EVF for the E-PL1, but it's $250, which makes the E-PL1 + EVF more expensive than the Canon T1i.

The NEX-5 has a problem with barrel distortion, which is a problem for me, as I also take a lot of architectural photography.

I'm struggling with the appeal of the portability of the 4/3 system vs the flexibility of the DSLR.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
FWSchreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:45 AM   #2

I have both the epl-1 and the T1i, except for action and extreme low light, the epl-1 can shoot everything I need. It is a great camera, and the panasonic m4/3 lenses match with the epl-1 are really great like the 20mm 1.7 and 45-200mm. And the kit lens is very good, and the camera corrects for lens distortion.

I shot the nex 5 and beside barrel distortion, both kit lenses are very soft. The GUI is just a pain to use. I like the buttons of the epl-1, when I use the evf with the camera, I can keep my eye in the evf while changing all the settings with my thumb. Also with the 4/3 adapter you can use all 4/3 lenses form panasonic, olympus and sigma. Way more options then the nex with only 3 lenses.

I shoot the T1i allot also, and it is a great camera also. But it is a bit large at time to lug around even though it is a compact dslr. Kit lens is ok, pretty sharp. But not as good as the olympus epl-1 kit lens.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:48 AM   #3

PS,

The VF2 is a fantastic evf, high resolution very clear. It was worth the money. I pay even more as I got the one that match the silver body of the epl-1 in germany for the fashion aspect.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:52 AM   #4

visit the olympus micro 4/3 forum on steves. There are some good info there about the epl-1

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ur-thirds-103/
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:31 PM   #5

I really dislike the idea of having to spend $250 for an EVF. One can buy some pretty decent lenses for that kind of money. I also dislike the idea of having to carry another piece of equipment with me, not to mention the fact that due to its nature, it would probably not be too difficult to break it while packing or unpacking. So, my suggestion (as it's always haven been with regards to this matter) is to get the EPL1 if you can live with the LCD or go for the T1i if the OVF is a must.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote