Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:33 PM   #1

Default Need a Single lens for T2i

I'm going to buy the Canon T2i and I need a single lens to attach to it and forget. I don't want to carry a bag with replacement lenses.. that's the reason I stopped using an SLR.

I am looking at the Nikon 18-200mm lens, but it's a little more than I can afford. It costs almost as much as the camera.

I need it to go from wide-angle (as wide as possible), to zoom (also as much as possible), that has good image quality, etc., for under 300$.

Also, is IS or VR worth it? I can't stand having to stop my breathing just to get a sharp image.

Thank you!
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:37 PM   #2

the nikon will not work on a canon. The canon 18-200 is a bit short of a 1 lens option. If you want a 1 lens option look at the tamron 18-270mm VC or the sigma 18-250mm OS. The tammy would be my pick.

But no of them will be in your price range. About 400-500 bucks
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:39 PM   #3

or if you want something with less reach, the canon 18-135mm. It is sub 400 dollars.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:41 PM   #4

track-

Yes, I single lens solution is possible with a Canon T-2i. Use the tamron 18-270mmVC lens. However, a Nikon 18-200mmVR lens will not fit your camera. On my T-1i I get by with two lenses The Canon 18-55mmIS lens and the Canon 55-250mmIS lens. And yes, I feel that you do need IS equipped lenes.

Now, on my Sony A-230 all I need is one lens:a Tamron 18-250mm because Sony, like Pentax and Olympus have in body image stabilization.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
I'm going to buy the Canon T2i and I need a single lens to attach to it and forget. I don't want to carry a bag with replacement lenses.. that's the reason I stopped using an SLR.
Why would you pay the high price for a camera with interchangeable
lenses and then never change the lens?

Quote:
I am looking at the Nikon 18-200mm lens, but it's a little more than I can afford. It costs almost as much as the camera.
Do you mean the Canon 18-200mm? The Nikon 18-200mm is for
cameras with a Nikon mount.

Quote:
I need it to go from wide-angle (as wide as possible), to zoom (also as much as possible), that has good image quality, etc., for under 300$.
Good performance over a wide range of focal lengths tends to
be expensive. You can get the non-stabilised versions of the
Sigma and Tamron 18-200mm for less than $300. The
Tamron 18-270mm is the lens that best matches your
list of requirements, but it costs more than $500 for a
new one.

Quote:
Also, is IS or VR worth it? I can't stand having to stop my breathing just to get a sharp image.
You can live without VR/IS/OS at shorter focal lengths, but it really
is very useful at longer focal lengths. For the ~200mm lenses you
are considering, it is worth paying the higher price for a stabilised
lens. Given your comments about bags and lenses, I guess you
won't want to carry a tripod with you.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:43 AM   #6

The T2i is an excellent camera.

Superzoom lenses in general aren't very good. They have more distortion and chromatic aberration, and aren't as sharp as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges that cost about the same.

Putting a superzoom lens on a T2i will give you excellent, high resolution images of the flaws in the lens. You're buying a great camera, and saddling it with a mediocre lens (at best.)

If you really want a dSLR with a superzoom lens, think about dropping back to the T1i. At least the lens' flaws won't be quite so obvious.

Lenses have more to do with image quality than cameras, and you want to put a bad lens on a good camera.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 20, 2010 at 6:45 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:17 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I'm with TCav, if you want a one lens solution go for the Panasonic FZ35/38, Canon SX20, Fuji HS10 etc, or look at one of the mirror less cameras like the Olympus EPL range.

If you still want a dSLR then the best option for one lens is the Tamron 18-270 but still not good for such a high res camera, better to go with the 2 lens kit by far. It's the normal quality v convenience situation.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The T2i is an excellent camera.

Superzoom lenses in general aren't very good. They have more distortion and chromatic aberration, and aren't as sharp as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges that cost about the same.

Putting a superzoom lens on a T2i will give you excellent, high resolution images of the flaws in the lens. You're buying a great camera, and saddling it with a mediocre lens (at best.)

If you really want a dSLR with a superzoom lens, think about dropping back to the T1i. At least the lens' flaws won't be quite so obvious.

Lenses have more to do with image quality than cameras, and you want to put a bad lens on a good camera.
Okay, I knew the professionals would make me feel awful, but you're going too far.

Look, I love my TZ5. It cost me 250$, has great image quality, and doesn't have any distortion or whatnot when I zoom in, no matter how zoomed-in I am.

So, how can you be telling me that a camera where the LENS itself costs more than the entire last camera I had, would have "flaws"?

I'm sorry, but that is simply ridiculous.

But okay.. I'm getting 18MP, so I'll do whatever I have to.

I have 300$ budget -- what's the best lens for that price? I prefer zoom, but as long as the image quality isn't bad.. where "bad" is what you apparently consider a 1400$ camera/lens combo.
Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:45 AM   #9

The tamron 18-270mm is not a bad lens, it is quite good actually. So it is not perfect. But honestly it will require you to crop in or examine a print with a eyeloop to see the distortion of the lens. But this is a 500 dollar lens.

You may also want to look at the sigma 18-200mm OS, but it is also a 370 dollar lens at BH. It is not the perfect lens either, but is closer to your budget.

With megazoom, it is about compromising. But the compromise in image quality is not that dramatic that others have made it to be. It is there, but i think it is livable imho for the one lens option.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 24, 2010 at 1:52 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:44 AM   #10

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD outperforms any superzoom lens, and it costs $165. Paired with your Canon 18-55 kit lens, you'll get better images that you would with any superzoom lens.

See:
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF (Tested)
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested)

Superzoom leses are convenient, but that's all they are. The quality of the images (or lack thereof,) will far outlast any inconvenience you may experience by having to change lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote