Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:47 PM   #11

The kit lenses do not do well indoors, neither the canon or the pentax. As they are not very bright, only 3.5 to 5.6 for the short lenses and 4-5.6 on the long lens. So if the light is to low, both the canon and pentax will give you a slow shutter speed even at 1600iso as the lenses have the same apertures. You may have to shoot at 3200iso and even 6400 with the kit lenses of the canon or pentax.

And I shoot dancing allot both in and out doors. And if you shoot indoor you will need to get a fast prime to get the shutter speed up to avoid motion blur without a flash.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:16 AM   #12

Yes, I thought about a fast prime being very good for the dance session. Canon seems to have some good, inexpensive lenses that would work well in that environment. I understand that they are not as heavy duty, but realistically I use my camera for travel, whether vacations or day outings, and then occasional shoots, whether a dance recital, a few pictures at home, or shots of flora and fauna in the neighborhood.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:26 AM   #13

the ef 28 1.8 and ef 50 1.4 works well for low light dance as they are USM lenses. The ef 50mm 1.8 is a decent low cost primes, but the AF has issues in low light and not fact enough to keep up with the dancers from my experience.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:17 AM   #14

Default Indecisive

I was considering the Pentax K-x or Canon T1i, but then gravitated to the Panasonic G2 or GH1. I have ordered the GH1 but am getting slightly cold feet as I wait.

The new GH1 for $950 was a great buy, but I am wondering if the G1 ($500) or G2 ($750) would serve my purposes better. From reading all the reviews:
G1 with 14/45mm lens has the better kit lens than the G2
G2 with 14/42mm lens has weaker kit lens but better controls generally and updated chip. Not sure of the qualitative difference between the 14-45 and 14-42mm lenses.
GH1 with 14/140mm lens has an all-purpose walkaround lens and somewhat better processor plus excellent video capabilities that could be enhanced through a hack. (Not sure how the video compares to the G2.) However, with the 14-140 lens, it weights about 10 oz more than the G1 or G2 with the kit lens, and even outweighs those cameras with the 45-200 lens by several ounces.

I am most interested still photography, but it is a useful plus to have video available at times, such as at a dance performance my daughter was in a couple of weeks ago. So my order of importance:
Still photography
IQ
EVF
Weight of package
Low-light capabilities
Video
JPEG capabilities

Since I have narrowed down the cameras to the Panasonics because I am interested in the built-in EVF, is there any guidance? I guess I will find out pretty quickly when the GH1 arrives.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 8:25 AM   #15

If you were planing to shoot dancing, it will not be the best choice to use any of the m4/3 camera. The AF system are good, but not upto the task for action.

Low Light, if you need to shoot past 800iso, the Panny's are noisey. The olympus epl-1 is the best low light m4/3 currently shooting well upto 2000iso. But if you really need low light you will really need a dslr, like the t1i or k-x to shoot at 3200 and 6400
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:34 AM   #16

Understood. Low-light with action is low on my priorities, though, for a multi-purpose camera.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:31 AM   #17

multipurpose light weight camera, the olympus epl-1 is actually a better camera for that. It can shoot in low light better. But it is 800 if you add the EVF.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:12 PM   #18

Yes, plus a couple of hundred for the 40-150 lens to get the same reach as I will have on the GH1. It is a difficult decision, but I am inclined to appreciate one walkaround lens from 14-140 and also the built-in EVF rather than one that can be knocked off, forgotten at home, etc. (I already have enough adapters with various Apple products!)
Old Aug 5, 2010, 3:30 PM   #19

LOL,

the evf comes with a pouch that I loop into the camera strap, never forget, and it is quite secure when it is on.

But I have to say, I am bias to low light camera, as I do shoot indoor and night allot. So having a good 1600iso in my thing in an all around camera.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 7:11 PM   #20

Okay, I changed my mind and went for the EPL-1. I received it today, charged the battery, and took a few inside shots. The low light capabilities look good -- just a few shots, mind you-- and I appreciate the flash, too. I ordered the VF-2 and it should arrive by next weekend.