Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:30 PM   #11

mtclimber

My daughter-in-law has the Fuji HS-10. I have borrowed it on two occasions and was not impressed with the image quality. My Canon S3 IS has a sharper image even when hand held and the HS-10 was tripod mounted. This is very evident when viewed at 100% crop. I am in the market for a new super zoom and am eager to see images from the two new Panasonic zooms.

Kenny
Ex-Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:59 PM   #12

If camera size is an issue to you, I urge you to take a look at the Kodak Z-950 which is a very compact/travel zoom camera. No wide angle, but it has 10X optical zoom and does HD video with zooming while filming, and it is selling at Amazon for $115.95.

The Z-950 got a very good review in the DPR compact travel zoom review. I own the Z-950 and have attached a Z50 photo link. I also bought another Z-950 today to use for a Christmas gift for our daughter. That is a great price and I wanted to get in on it.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ko...90_HvWFi-L.jpg

Here is another photo:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ko...04_29aVV-L.jpg

Here is another photo:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ko...25_ipqRt-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 21, 2010 at 4:03 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
lgbtrain-

The new FZ45 and FZ-100 were announced in Stockholm this morning, so there will soon be sample photos available. Please keep in mind that othe than increasing the zoom from 18X to 24X the changes to the FZ-35 seem to be few in number.

That is a real tribute to the design of the FZ-35. It was pretty darned good. The next thing that will probably happen is that as soon as the new models reach the dealers, the price of the FZ-35 will probably begin to fall. That is also good news.

Keep in mind that the Fuji HS-10 remains the newest super zoom in the marketplace and it has received very good professional and user reviews.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,
Thanks for the update. That will be great when the price falls I'm gonna continue to read more posts and do more research here.
lgbtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Clerk View Post
mtclimber

My daughter-in-law has the Fuji HS-10. I have borrowed it on two occasions and was not impressed with the image quality. My Canon S3 IS has a sharper image even when hand held and the HS-10 was tripod mounted. This is very evident when viewed at 100% crop. I am in the market for a new super zoom and am eager to see images from the two new Panasonic zooms.

Kenny
To borrow any camera on two occasions and make a comparison against a camera you are really familiar with is hardly a fair trial. And, with the HS-10 having a backlit sensor CMOS versus a standard CCD, it's a whole new ballgame. The HS-10 requires a while to get used to but, once you learn it, it produces excellent images. Just run through the Fujifilm forum and have a look.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Jul 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
To borrow any camera on two occasions and make a comparison against a camera you are really familiar with is hardly a fair trial. And, with the HS-10 having a backlit sensor CMOS versus a stanard CCD, it's a whole new ballgame. The HS-10 requires a while to get used to but, once you learn it, it produces excellent images. Just run through the Fujifilm forum and have a look.
Gary -Thats why I gave it a second look. I had it for several days the first time and a week for the second. It could be that it's just not the camera for me. Please explain how the CMOS is different from a stndard CCD and how it accects the image. I am in the market for a new super - zoom and I really liked the HS-10 other than the images. I even gave it a shot with manual focus. I live in the mountains and images with foliage just didn't seem sharp.

Kenny
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Gary -Thats why I gave it a second look. I had it for several days the first time and a week for the second. It could be that it's just not the camera for me. Please explain how the CMOS is different from a stndard CCD and how it accects the image. I am in the market for a new super - zoom and I really liked the HS-10 other than the images. I even gave it a shot with manual focus. I live in the mountains and images with foliage just didn't seem sharp.

Kenny

Hi, Kenny.

There are several reasons your images of trees were not sharp. One big one is "conditions". Shoot on a breezy day at slow shutter speed & low ISO and you get blur. Combine that with no tripod = even more blur.

Here's a link that explains the differences between CCD and CMOS sensors. http://www.dalsa.com/corp/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.aspx THIS is why it's a whole new ballgame and why working with a camera like the HS-10 requires a little extra time and effort to get optimum results.

As I said, take a look at the images in the Fujifilm forum here at Steve's. I and several others have had the HS-10 since it first came out back in April. Was I disappointed at first? You bet! But, I upgraded the firmware and kept plugging away. Now, it's going have to be a pretty freakin' good bridge camera that will make me replace my HS-10!

And, like you said, the HS-10 may not be the camera for you. I realize they ain't for everyone.

Here are a couple of shots taken through double-pane windows under slightly breezy evening conditions. Uncropped.

Racked out about 100 feet away

Racked out about 600 feet away
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Jul 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:34 PM   #17

Gary - I don't see the link

Kenny
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Gary - I don't see the link

Kenny
Don't what just happened there but I put it back in. Try it now.
My Gallery

--
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Don't what just happened there but I put it back in. Try it now.
Thanks for the link Gary - I need to encourage my Daughter-In-Law to update her firmware ant then I can give it another whirl.

I see you are from Louisville - I used to visit the Philip Morris plant Yearly - We were a supplier - they sure were a tough bunch to keep happy.

Last edited by Ex-Clerk; Jul 21, 2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the link Gary - I need to encourage my Daughter-In-Law to update her firmware ant then I can give it another whirl.
You're welcome, Kenny. Glad to assist.

RE: Phillip-Morris

I imagine they were, Kenny. A lot of the big boys here are "difficult" to deal with. I retired from working for the State (Commonwealth). They were "difficult", too. But... I made it. I'm RETIRED! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Jul 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM.