Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Best way to learn more about photography before I buy a camera

Hi all. I am the one that posted a few posts over the last couple of months trying to decide on a new camera to replace my old Canon G3 especially because we were having a baby. Well, I still haven't bought one because I take forever to make up my mind, and our baby was born, but have been taking tons of pics with the old camera and I have actually been experimenting more with it than I ever have. Mainly with the ISO and aperture settings to get indoor pics without the flash. I realize now it probably isnt the best with this camera since its highest ISO is 400 and I have been avoiding that because I notice the loss of detail that I have seen people talk about on here But anyways, I think now before I go out and buy a DSLR or maybe even a newer P&S, I want to learn a few things first. I know, I should have done this a long time ago, but better late than never. I have seen a few books mentioned and websites, but what do you think is the best one to start with? I have an understanding of what aperture and shutter speed etc. do on the technical side, but I would like to learn more about when you woulld use certain settings for certain situations and more about how they work in real life situations. I still think I will probably buy a compact cam very soon to have it be with us at all times, but also learn some stuff at the same time in case I want a DSLR later on as well. I appreciate any recommendations for books or anything.
JM667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:53 PM   #2

Try the Canon Digital Learning Center, or Nikon's "Capture Your World".
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:05 PM   #3

Thank you. How about books, because that might be convenient when I am not sitting at a computer. I have seen the "Understanding Exposure" and "The Digital Photography Book" mentioned in here. Is one of those good for general info, or is there something better to start with?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:47 PM   #4

JM667-

I teach a course called "Digital Cameras Made really Easy" for our local Community College, and we fill-up the class every single semester. As there was no really good textbook to use for the course that covered General Photography from a Point and Shoot Camera point of View, I sat down and created a 200 page textbook to use for the course.

So you might look into what digital camera courses your local Community College is offering.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:41 PM   #5

I would love to take a class as that would probably be a great hands on way to learn. However, I just don't think I will have the time to do that now. So until then, I will have to settle for reading up on the subject.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
JM667-

I teach a course called "Digital Cameras Made really Easy" for our local Community College, and we fill-up the class every single semester. As there was no really good textbook to use for the course that covered General Photography from a Point and Shoot Camera point of View, I sat down and created a 200 page textbook to use for the course.

So you might look into what digital camera courses your local Community College is offering.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah,
Did you publish it yourself? Can we purchase it? If so, how?
Terry
lgbtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:15 AM   #7

I have done photography for years now and I have read lots even went to evening classes, but I still think the only real way to learn is to take pictures and learn buy your mistakes and successes.
I think you should get a short list of cameras and go and do the touchy feely thing and see if they are right for you, if it feels right are the buttons to small is it easy to navigate. These are things I look for before I buy plus look at the reviews there are several sites that give great reviews including here
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:37 PM   #8

Look up specific cameras in your search engine, for instance:

"Canon XS review"

I'd also for sure, look up any camera you are considering at sites that have customer reviews such as Amazon and Newegg. Read the customer reviews carefully including the "Comments" at Amazon. The best customer reviews tend to be lengthy and by very experienced people who have been there and done that. After reading all that you will have a sense of the pros and cons of each camera. That will be instrumental in helping you make good decisions. "If others had not made mistakes before us, we would make them."

Last edited by Muse; Jul 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:19 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies, but I think this is getting off track. I am not looking for a specific camera, or how to adjust setting on a camera. I am looking for a book that teaches about settings. Like when you should use certain aperture and shutter speed settings, etc. I think maybe I posted this in the wrong forum now. Sorry
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:50 PM   #10

Default Book

JM,
Brian Peterson's "Understandin Exposure" is a really good book.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0817463003

Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by GOLFCRAZY; Jul 23, 2010 at 8:55 PM.
GOLFCRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote