Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:16 PM   #1

Default Can't Decide what to buy

Hi All,

My wife and I just had a new baby and we are looking for a camera to take lots of pictures with. We have an older point an shoot but it doesn't seem to do well in lower light situations and when the baby is moving. We are looking for a new camera that has really good image quality with the ability to take pictures in lower light and capture the fast action of kids. I was first thinking of going with the Canon 7D or the Canon 5D Mark 2 but then started thinking about how big these cameras are. Is there a point an shoot type camera out there that has the small size but yet does all the things I mentioned above decently? I would love to hear any all suggestions that you have.
mprince74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:22 PM   #2

indoor if you want a very short range, something like the new panasonic lx-5 in the point and shoot range. But fast action with kids. You will want a dslr, as all point and shoot had lag issues. Have you consider a compact dslr, something like the canon T1i or T2i. The t2i uses the same sensor as the 7d.

If you want something smaller, but still have decent action. Have you consider a EVIL camera like the m4/3 like the olympus epl-1. It is pretty good up to 1600iso, and putting the panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens on it gives it a very good low light ability
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:31 PM   #3

I did think about the T2i but I wasn't sure it could handle fast action for kids or not. I was also looking at the EP2 but it is almost the same price as the T2i so I figured what is the point.
mprince74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:35 PM   #4

The ep2 is not as good as the epl-1 in low light. EPL-1 is good at 1600iso, the ep2 is good to about 1200iso.

The T2i is good for action. So is the T1i, they have pretty much the same AF system. If HD video is very important the T2i is a better tool for that, but for photography, the t1i and t2i are pretty much equal.

I have a t1i and a epl-1. And for action, I take the canon. But for moderated action the epl-1 does a decent job.

Here are some action shots with the t1i, I mixed is some slow and fast shutter speeds for different effects.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ueens-nyc.html
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:48 PM   #5

PS

If you go with a rebel, you will want a fast focusing lens to keep up with the action. Something with USM on it from canon.

I would get the body and the same lens that comes with the 7D the ef28-135mm, and that would be a good start. But the kit lens 18-55 is a good group photo lens and landscape lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote