Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:37 AM   #1

Default Should I buy the Canon SX20 when I have the Fuji S1800?

I can buy the Canon SX20 for $230 CND, which I think is a deal way too good to pass, but I already have the Fuji S1800 that I bought for $100 a few months ago. Is it worth it to buy the SX20 and sell the S1800?
chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:14 AM   #2

chengbin-

The $230 CAD is a very good price for the SX-20. However, please keep in mind that we are in a season of change regarding super zoom cameras. Panasonic made an announcement yesterday (22July) of their new super zoom replacement models, the FZ-45 and the FZ-100. Canon and Sony are also expected to announce replacement models for the Canon SX-20 and the Sony HX-1 in the next several weeks.

All three manufacturers now feel pressure to have a new super zoom model on dealer's shelves in time for the Christmas 2010 market. As the new models become available, prices on the current models will drop as well, as the older cameras are switched out and the new models fill the inventory "pipeline."

If your proposed purchase of the Canon SX-20 is from a dealer, the prices might even drop further as the models change over toward the end of the year. If you are intending to purchase privately, that price reduction might not take place.

This would be a good time to sell the S-1800 as the summer market with people going on holiday/vacation is still hot. If I remember properly, we were just discussing your Fuji S-1800 purchase about 3 to 4 months ago. Have you considered the Fuji HS-10 model?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3

Ahhh, that's why the price is so low.

The HS-10 is too physically big, and expensive. I don't like using a manual zoom. It looks cool for a while, but after I'll miss the motorized zoom.

Decisions, decisions.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:54 PM   #4

Mt Climber, can you share how you learn of these announcements from the cam companies re new model cams coming out soon? Appreciate your knowledge overall and have learned lots from your postings.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:23 PM   #5

Just curious, SX20 vs FZ35, which one has better image quality. If they have comparable image quality, I'm definitely gonna try to sell my S1800 and get this.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:30 PM   #6

picsgalore-

As you can see, I have posted almost 16,000 post on this website alone. I am active on a number of different websites. I also know many people working in the camera industry, due to my years as a photographer and the fact that at one time I too worked in the camera industry.

Those good folks are often times willing to share some chitchat about what they are working on, so I pass it along if I think it would be useful to the readers of the website.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:31 PM   #7

chengbin-

IMO the FZ-35 is the better and more user friendly camera, when one compares the SX-20 to the FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:52 PM   #8

Well, I'm too late, they're sold out.

That's what happens when you sell the SX-20 at $230. They are losing over $100 per sale. I was shocked how high it costs the store to buy them.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:32 PM   #9

chengbin-

I am sorry to hear that the store was sold out of the Canon SX-20 cameras.

Sarah Joyce