Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2010, 3:00 PM   #1

Default Need something better than my X-880 compact

Hi,

I'm curently using a Olympus X-880 compact to take general family and holiday pictures but would like to get something a bit better. While it's great in bright light I'm often wishing for more zoom and better low light capabilty.

We're shortly going to Orlando and I'd like to take a new camera to capture this holiday. I know a lot of attractions don't let you use flash so I would like something a bit better at taking low light shots. Also there is the electrical parade at night which I've always struggled to take decent pictures of.

I will keep the X-880 for taking out in a pocket but I'm thinking I should complement it with something a bit larger. I've been reading up on the FZ35 as it's available for about 220 here in the UK and that would be my absolute max budget right now (anything cheaper would be good).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
catflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2010, 4:19 PM   #2

catflap-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The jump from an Olympus X-880 to a Panasonic FZ-38 (I don't think you have FZ-35's in the UK) would be a sizable one. Please tell us what kind of photos you take, and a bit about your photo experience??

Are you an Automatic mode shooter? Or are you keen to try manual settings. In view of the fact that you will be leaving on holiday soon to Orlando, Florida. I do not think you will have time to master a rather complicated camera such as an FZ-35/38.

Instead, I would recommend a camera with a good amount of zoom with a noce HD video on which you can zoom while filming. Here is the USA, the Kodak Z-950 is selling for $110.95 at www.amazon.com. It offers 10X optical zoom, very good image quality, and HD video with zooming.

That offers reasonable zooming, very good image quality and a camera that you could master fairly quickly, all for around 70 pounds sterling.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
catflap-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The jump from an Olympus X-880 to a Panasonic FZ-38 (I don't think you have FZ-35's in the UK) would be a sizable one. Please tell us what kind of photos you take, and a bit about your photo experience??

Are you an Automatic mode shooter? Or are you keen to try manual settings. In view of the fact that you will be leaving on holiday soon to Orlando, Florida. I do not think you will have time to master a rather complicated camera such as an FZ-35/38.

Instead, I would recommend a camera with a good amount of zoom with a noce HD video on which you can zoom while filming. Here is the USA, the Kodak Z-950 is selling for $110.95 at www.amazon.com. It offers 10X optical zoom, very good image quality, and HD video with zooming.

That offers reasonable zooming, very good image quality and a camera that you could master fairly quickly, all for around 70 pounds sterling.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the comments, I didn't think about taking the time to get used to the camera. oops! (too many auto compacts )

I am basically an automatic mode shooter but I've always fancied learning a bit more about photography and how to create better pictures. I usually take pictures of the family, pets etc and when we go out places, Holidays, zoo's etc.

Can't believe how much you get for 70 with that Kodak you mentioned, I think this sort of camera would provide a stop gap but I really need to invest some time in learning how to set a camera up to take good pictures in different situations. The Auto modes help get average to good shots in most situations but I'm left wanting more in a lot of my photos especially when the light isn't perfect.

My thoughts were rather than 'waste' another 100+ on another zoom compact I should put this towards something that would allow me to take more interest in the art of taking a good photo, but as you pointed out I've left it a bit late for this summers vacation.

Starting to see some really good prices for the FZ38 now (213 delivered) as I guess it's about to be replaced.

Not sure what to do now!
catflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:27 PM   #4

Catflap-

That is correct. The replacement FZ-45 and FZ-100 models have been announced and should be on dealer shelves by mid October.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote