Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five-O-

Here in this Forum we have always been proud of the spirit of helping and friendliness that flows through our Forum.

Your post above, in my opinion is "over the top." This is not the first argumentative, and impolite post you have posted in this Forum. You may indeed come from a "knock'em down, drag'em out philosophy, but I sincerely believe that the majority of posters in this Forum do not subscribe to that philosophy.

It is not hard to be polite and caring of other persons feelings. Most of us manage to do it easily. The attitude model that you continue to express, may be tolerated in the www.dpreview Forums, but it is foreign to us here at Steve's.

Quite honestly, I do not think we should change what has been normal and accepted here in this Forum, to accept your style of posting. I have stayed silent for a long time about the type and style of your posts. Now I am joining with Skylark and formally protesting this kind of post.

If the Forum decision is to tolerate this attitude, form, aggression, and style, it is time for me too to move elsewhere.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

Thank you very much for voicing your viewpoint on this important subject.

I joined steves-digicams in October 2004 and FiveO joined the forums in April 2010. During the past 6 years I never saw anyone post with negative personal comments in so many posts as FiveO has done in the last three months since he joined. Among other things, he chastises members when they express disappointment with their camera purchase to the point where other members will be reluctant to post their post purchase problems and disappointments. I wonder if the forum administrators realize this.

I hoped that the forum administrators would have warned him several times by now and then banned him for continuing but that never happened. If he's allowed to continue his style of posting, I too am out of here. My leaving will be insignificant but your leaving will be a great, great loss for these forums.

Best regards,
Sky

Last edited by skylark; Jul 29, 2010 at 7:10 AM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:30 PM   #22

I think I'm going to post a new thread regarding my experiences w/testing the Panasonic FH20, Canon SX210, Sony H55, Panasonic ZS6, Kodak Z950, Panasonic ZS7, Sony HX5v, Samsung HZ30W........but that's off the subject. What I'd really like to point out is that I've bought many cameras based on online reviews just to have a glaring problem hit me in the face; a problem never mentioned in online review.

Canon SX210: Great pictures at lowest ISO. Go up at all and you have very blurry pictures which are also completely off in WB compared to the low ISO flash pictures. I suppose you can work around this by never using auto.

Kodak 950: Great pictures WHEN YOU CAN WAIT ON THEM. Really great color, sharpness, etc. BUT, I found that while shooting, I could take a max of 3 pictures before its buffer was full and then had to wait 30 seconds for it to empty to be able to take 3 more pictures in quick succession. If I sat there with my finger on the shutter button and tried to force it, the camera would show a bunch of vertical lines on the display, die, and lose the last picture. It was so bad I returned the camera in exchange for the exact same model but had to return the 2nd camera as well, and pay a restocking fee.

Well, those are my only review pertinent to this board.....but P.S. - if you go hunting in the micro 4/3rds category, you'lll find some extremely sharp and beautiflly colored pictures. IMHO, though, the video can't match up to the P&S and the camera can't fit in a purse, so that's why Im' shopping for a 2nd camera.
keldunwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:27 AM   #23

keldenwoody-

Thanks for your post. The problem that you note about the Kodak Z-950 is well known and certainly not "deal breaker" for the majority of Z-950 purchasers.

That delay is caused by the Fully Automatic Mode (the little red camera icon) employing a combination of Smart Capture and Perfect Touch post processing that slows down the camera through put measurably.

There is indeed a very simple work-around to eliminate that delay. Shoot the camera in the "P" or Program mode, which works just like Full Automatic, but eliminates the Smart Capture/ Perfect Touch post processing cycle and that delay is eliminated. If you want to add the Perfect Touch post processing, it can be done manually, using the menu, while reviewing your photos.

I have posted over a dozen times on this board and other boards on how to avoid that through put problem. I am sorry you missed one of my posts.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:45 PM   #24

Quote:
keldenwoody-

Thanks for your post. The problem that you note about the Kodak Z-950 is well known and certainly not "deal breaker" for the majority of Z-950 purchasers.

That delay is caused by the Fully Automatic Mode (the little red camera icon) employing a combination of Smart Capture and Perfect Touch post processing that slows down the camera through put measurably.

There is indeed a very simple work-around to eliminate that delay. Shoot the camera in the "P" or Program mode, which works just like Full Automatic, but eliminates the Smart Capture/ Perfect Touch post processing cycle and that delay is eliminated. If you want to add the Perfect Touch post processing, it can be done manually, using the menu, while reviewing your photos.

I have posted over a dozen times on this board and other boards on how to avoid that through put problem. I am sorry you missed one of my posts.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah Joyce - Actually I wish I had printed your posts to bring to the store. The clerks just said, "she's not happy with the time it takes to write the full 12 MP even though I used an HD-Movie class SD card. I posted in another spot- it didn't matter whether I used P mode or auto, it still went into "processing" after 3 pictures. I feel like maybe I got 2 unlucky units. If what you say is true, i would highly recommend the kodak.
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Five-O-

Here in this Forum we have always been proud of the spirit of helping and friendliness that flows through our Forum.

Your post above, in my opinion is "over the top." This is not the first argumentative, and impolite post you have posted in this Forum. You may indeed come from a "knock'em down, drag'em out philosophy, but I sincerely believe that the majority of posters in this Forum do not subscribe to that philosophy.

It is not hard to be polite and caring of other persons feelings. Most of us manage to do it easily. The attitude model that you continue to express, may be tolerated in the www.dpreview Forums, but it is foreign to us here at Steve's.

Quite honestly, I do not think we should change what has been normal and accepted here in this Forum, to accept your style of posting. I have stayed silent for a long time about the type and style of your posts. Now I am joining with Skylark and formally protesting this kind of post.

If the Forum decision is to tolerate this attitude, form, aggression, and style, it is time for me too to move elsewhere.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks SJ, you are so right. I hesitate to post anything at all on dpreview, there doesn't seem to be much room for anyone but professionals with top cameras over there.
I take pictures of friends and family....and when I shop for a new camera and test lots of things, I feel I should stick my opinion out there whether it follows popular opinion or not. Don't shoot me, please!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:15 AM   #26

keldunwoody-

Many thanks for your nice posts. Yes, we have something rather unique here on our Forum, and I, for one, really appreciate that spirit of openness, friendliness, and being helpful to each other.

When I see it challenged, or us beginning to look like DPReview, I don't hesitate to speak up. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote