Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:32 PM   #11

yeah shame that beast is quite so expensive hehe - but would need a pickup truck to move it =) so for that reason only i will remove it from consideration!!

as for f8....... wont jsut be feather detail i'm missing lol it will be the entire bird =) - hoo hum well wait to see whats announced at photokina - perhaps pentax will offer a fast medium telephoto and a new body with fantastic autofocus =) hey i can dream!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
as for f8....... wont jsut be feather detail i'm missing lol it will be the entire bird =) -
Catadioptric lenses are exceptionally sharp, despite their low price, and the fixed aperture. If the focal length is right, and you can guess at the distance, it should work well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:51 PM   #13

i'm meaning the length of exposure needed with an f8 lens - fine in sunny florida but here would render it a sunny day only lens - besides i got my sigma 150-500mm so can do that if and when i need too
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:54 PM   #14

Oh yeah. Scotland. It's sunny ... um ... maybe a week out of the year. And if the temperature goes above 70F, people pass out in the streets because they forget not to wear their overcoats.

I lived there for 2 1/2 years and loved every minute of it. I never tried to shoot wildlife though (castles mostly.) I think the 100-300/4.0 would work better than the 70-200/2.8. What kinds of shutter speeds are you getting with your 150-500?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:24 PM   #15

i can get the shutter speed upto about 1/800th at f6.3 (max aperture at 500mm - can get abit soft though) but needs putting the iso upto about 800 or higher - prefer keeping it at 400 or lower if i can (obviously some days things are good enough that drop it down to f8 and still get good speeds at low iso but those days dont come along every day and dont like being limited and during the colder half of the year your really struggle with shutter speeds)

f4 might be enough not sure - but if i throw a 1.4x tc on the 70-200mm would give me 280mm at aprox f4 but the added flexibility

i dont know why but the range just appeals to me and added benefit of fast aperture and will likely sharpen up nicely by f4 if there is any softness

to me the question really is stick with pentax or not - as you said i would keep my pentax equipment so i could slowly move over as i have no complaints about my k-7 for landscape, potrait or macro work
Pentax Photo Gallery

Last edited by John.Pattullo; Jul 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
to me the question really is stick with pentax or not - as you said i would keep my pentax equipment so i could slowly move over as i have no complaints about my k-7 for landscape, potrait or macro work
I think that's the best way to go. I wish I'd held onto my Tamron 17-50/2.8 and 'Beercan'.