Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:26 AM   #1

Default my dilemma

ok so i shoot pentax - and i love my k-7 its a fantastic camera - now pentax seems to be much healthier these days so i dont have to worry too much about pentax going under but as we all know dslrs are all about the glass

i want a fast telephoto zoom and the options for pentax are limited here so i've been looking 3rd party alternatives

the tamron 70-200mm f.8 - beautifully sharp optics but slow slow autofocus - sadly the autofocus with this lens effectively renders it useless for my needs

the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 - spot on just what i want - but there is a problem!! they have stopped selling it and from my usual places online and even local camera shops cant get hold of it anymore and sigma's new version with optical stablisation (which i dont need on the k-7 since it has stablisation built in) is not quite availble yet and when it is released it will be selling for over twice as much as the old version at 1499

now at that sort of money i have to ask if i should be investing that much in the pentax system specially as my area of interest in photography tends towards wildlife shots and fast autofocus is the k-7 one area where its not quite as good as some of the competition and apart from 3rd party lenses pentax is short on long glass too

so the question do i jump ship to canon or nikon? now without getting a bank loan and rendering myself bankrupt it would have to be a slow change over as i cant afford to replace my entire lens lineup in one go and i would be looking at the likes of the

canon 7d or nikon d300s

now dispite having been out for a while now these cameras are still pretty expensive so would probably wait unitl the next generation are revealed never know pentax might produce some fast long glass and a new body with autofocus that matches the performance of canikon

so in the event i choose to switch - which way do i jump? nikon seems a little lite in megapixels for cropping wildlife shots but the 51 point autofocus looks very very nice

has anyone handled 7d and a d300s and can give a run down of both? and any advice for someone with a dilemma about wether or not jump ship?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:37 AM   #2

The selection of long lenses for the Pentax mount is limited, but there are choices. There's the Sigma 100-300, 50-500, 120-400, and 150-500. Take a look in the Pentax / Samsung dSLR and see what other Pentax owners are using to shoot wildlife.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:01 PM   #3

yeah i know the pentax line up pretty well and unless i want to use a prime (not a big fan of primes except for shooting portraits etc where you can frame with your feet easily) then the sigma is really the only choice and the price of the lens makes me wonder if i shouldn't buy into another system instead - wont be any cheaper i know but wondering if in the long term would be served better by the main 2

hence my dilemma

spend 1500 on a lens for my k-7 or spend 1600 for canikon equivalent but need a new body on top (likely get a new body before christmas anyway - pentax or otherwise)

if pentax's autofocus was as fast and had the predictive algorythms then i would probably stay where i was but i just have this feeling that the others would give me more keepers and would remove the limit on fast long glass in the bargin too

i'll probably not make any descisions until the next batch of cameras are out now anyway so never know pentax may deliver for me but you know what its like - the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence =)

so was jsut wondering if anyone had gone through similar change of systems and is it worth starting a new lens collection or are you better off staying where you are
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:33 PM   #4

The problem is that there isn't anything between the mediocre Pentax 55-300 and the excellent Sigma 100-300. Canon has the 70-300 IS USM and Nikon has the 70-300 G VR, but that's a big gap in the Pentax lineup.

From my perspective, sensor shift image stabilization is great for available light photography and close-up work. (I really miss my KM5D for exactly those reasons.) But for most other things, Canon and Nikon have the edge. Perhaps you could keep your Pentax for types of photography where it excels, and go with a Canon or a Nikon to do your wildlife shooting. But if you'll eventually end up with a Sigma telephoto zoom anyway, then the extra body will have been a waste.

Tough call.

I switched from the Minolta/Sony line to a Nikon D90 because I wanted a large aperture medium telephoto to shoot indoor sports, and Sony's 85/1.4 was all they had and it cost $1400. Now I miss my Tamron 17-50/2.8 and macro lenses, and equivalent lenses wouldn't be stabilized on my Nikon.

I'm thinking of getting a Sony just so I can use those lenses on a stabilized body again.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:37 PM   #5

My thought is, if you have the money go Canon or Nikon. The second tier is for those like me that are trying to get value for their buck. and they don't have a lot of those bucks. Although I like everything about the Sony a550 that I bought, thinking longer term, I feel a creeping dis-satisfaction. On the other hand, I can always give this system to a family member in a few years and get my dream system. I'll know more about what I want and most particularly, I'll know what I need.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:40 PM   #6

John - I'm confused. You say you want to shoot wildlife, but you're looking at a 200mm lens? If wildlife is your thing, why not look at the Bigma? A 70-200mm 2.8 makes no sense in any system for wildlife.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:21 PM   #7

i have the sigma 150-500mm for wildlife shooting and while its a great lens its just not fast enough for birds in flight most of the time (scotland usually overcast and if its not then its probably winter and barely any light at all) thats why i am looking for an f2.8 lens (and f2.8 well then pentax autofocus come into question as it has to be spot on at those apertures and focal lengths) and to top it off the wide end isn't wide enough - last time i went to a safari park i missed great shots because the furthest out i could zoom was 150 - sure i could have switched to a smaller lens but then would have still missed the shots =)

the 70-200mm might not have the longest reach true but its enough and since alot of the time the "wildlife" isn't really going to be wild - think falconry displays safari parks thigns like that - certainly in pentax glass there is nothing beyond 200mm that gets you f2.8 and thats a prime - going to the 300mm drops you to f4

i would love something that had even more reach and was fast but then your into silly money

i suppose i could rely on ever improving iso performance but that doesn't sit well somehow either -so thats why i descided the 70-200mm f2.8 would be a good focal range for my needs
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:56 PM   #8

Large and long isn't going to go for cheap. The 100-300/4.0 is about a stop faster than the 150-500 you've got, and sells for about as much, but it's not nearly as long.

What you really need is the 200-500/2.8 but it's only availabe for Canon and Nikon. Oh, and it costs $29,000.

Nikon has a 200-400/4.0 for $5,700.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:01 PM   #9

How about a Samyang 500/8 mirror lens (or a 500/6.3, or an 800/8.) They're manual focus, but guess at the distance and let the depth of field cover your subject. Then you don't have to worry about the AF.

Actually, you could do that with almost any long lens.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:25 PM   #10

You can still find it from other parts of the EU, Germany and Austria for around 800 euros.