Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:16 AM   #1

Default Super Beginner (Panasonic FZ35?)

Heys everyone

New to the forum :] and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm a total beginner to photography (previous experience limited to vacation photos with my family's 2003 olympus c5000). I wanted a camera that I could play around with and learn to use the manual controls. The 60 second shutter speed makes me happy on the fz35 cause I really like long exposure night photos.

Just last night I was playing around with the olympus and I found out it had manual controls for aperture/shutter speed and 16s max shutter speed And this whole time I never knew :/ But since that's a family camera and I'll be in college at Santa Barbara next month, I thought I should get myself my own camera and Panasonic's fz35 looks really nice.

Another camera I looked at was Fujifilm's s1800, but while playing around with it at Best Buy (they didn't have the fz35 sadly), the three things that bother me most about it are:

1. Its screen is not really crisp and clear and when you move the camera around the screen kinda lags in catching up.
2. Because of reason 1, when you're setting up the photo, it looks bad on screen even though it looks fine afterwards.
3. Its max shutter speed is 8 seconds. I'm not really sure if that's enough for the long exposure night photos that I like.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable camera for me? Mid $300s at MOST is my price range. I'm going to be a poor college student for the next 4 years so I plan on keeping this camera around for quite a while.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for the help :]
joshyting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:21 PM   #2

joshyting-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

As a FZ-35 owner myself, I really do recommend the FZ-35 it is a very user friendly camera, making it an ideal camera on which to learn more about photography. It is currently at it lowest price point of around $325 since its introduction. The price point is low as the replacement model, the FZ-45 was just announced last week.

I would stay away from the Fuji S-1800 as it is a so called "price camera" that was designed with restricted features to keep the price low. If you wanted to consider Fuji, look at the HS-10 model. It is a very good camera, but almost $100 more than the FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
joshyting-

As a FZ-35 owner myself, I really do recommend the FZ-35 it is a very user friendly camera, making it an ideal camera on which to learn more about photography. It is currently at it lowest price point of around $325 since its introduction. The price point is low as the replacement model, the FZ-45 was just announced last week.

I would stay away from the Fuji S-1800 as it is a so called "price camera" that was designed with restricted features to keep the price low. If you wanted to consider Fuji, look at the HS-10 model. It is a very good camera, but almost $100 more than the FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

Could you explain a bit more about why you recommend the FZ-35 over other cameras in that class? That is exactly the group of cameras I am looking at, and I'd be grateful for picking your brain a bit.
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:50 PM   #4

Glenn-

As I mentioned in a previous post, I purchased the FZ-35 and the SX-20. I shot them side by side for three weeks. At the end of the test period, it was obvious that the SX-20 was only an incremental up grade from the previous SX-10. When I compared the feature sets of each camera. It was obvious that the FZ-35 is a much more user friendly camera than the SX-20. The feature set is much more comprehensive on the FZ-35. The feature set on the SX-20 can best be described as not quite up to date technology-wise.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
joshyting-

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah It seems I'm leaning towards the fz35 as of now. But I was just wondering if there are any other comparable cameras that are cheaper and/or smaller (though as I've said before, I don't mind the extra bulk TOO much).

A few more things, do you think the manual features of the fz35 will overwhelm me? I'm not quite sure how "deep" into photography I will get. Also, I was reading about night photography and the topic of hot pixels came up. Does the fz35 have this problem with its long exposure times?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:22 AM   #6

joshyting-

The leaders in the super zoom group are the Panasonic FZ-35 followed by the Canon SX-20. There are cameras with less zoom that will not be as expensive.

For example:the Kodak Z-950 has 10X optical zoom, and a HD video which allows zooming while filming and it is selling for $110.95 at Amazon. The Z-950 is much smaller and pocketable.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 27, 2010, 5:06 PM   #7

Hm, I took a look at the Kodak Z950 and I was wondering if its image quality is worse than the fz35 because it is smaller/cheaper?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:07 PM   #8

You are correct, the Panasonic FZ-35 provides better image quality. However, for the folks with an under $200 budget, it represents a very good value.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:22 AM   #9

Thanks for all your help Sarah! I think I'm going to stick with the fz35. I was just really curious about the hot pixels issue. Does this come up with the fz35 when doing long exposure photos at night (since I think I will be doing quite a lot of those)?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:12 AM   #10

No i doubt panasonic FZ35 is very good camera...i almost plan to purchase this camera .. but i read so many reviews that pic quality between FZ35 ans ZS3 is almost same .. Extra zoom is not much imp for me ..12x is much more sufficient .. so is it worthy to purchase FZ35 for manual control and more zoom when ZS3 produce same image quality ...And ZS3 is having 25 mm wide angle and pocket size camera .. most of the time i wil take family photographs only ..
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote