Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Travel Zoom vs. Super Zoom

Hi,
I am heading to Europe for a hiking trip this summer and wanted a new camera for my trip. I have read many reviews but I am now overwhelmed with info and finding it hard to make a decision. My budget is $400-$600. I will probably use automatic modes than manual settings (mostly due to ignorance, rather than a lack of interest). I want something that will be not too cumbersome, versatile and take good quality pictures. I was considering picking up either a travel or super zoom and was trying to decide between the Panasonic ZS7 or FZ35 or maybe the Canon SX20 Is, but would be open to other suggestions.

Is there much of an image quality difference between the travel zoom and super zooms, say the Panasonix ZS7 and FZ35? I know the travel zooms are much more compact but at what cost? Is it only zoom? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
HIKEALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:53 AM   #2

hikealot-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

My first choice would be the Fz-35. It has an EVF which allows you to focus using a viewfinder, rather than battling the sun when attempting to frame your photo on an LCD. It weighs just 14 ounces and is a very user friendly camera, with a well performing Automatic System and an Intelligent Automatic system.

My second choice would be the Panasonic ZS7. It does however have two faults. (1) It has poor indoor image quality due to a very weak built-in flash unit. You can get no farther away than 6 feet in camera to subject distance if you want the proper exposure. (2) Framing your photos must be done on the LCD screen is bright sunshine is difficult.

I would not consider the Can on SX-20 because of it large size and its 23 ounce weight.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I would not consider the Can on SX-20 because of it large size and its 23 ounce weight.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

I am looking at the SX-20, and I was wondering about your thoughts, other than the size/weight.
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:04 PM   #4

If you are packing everything on your hike, the compact size of the zs7 would make things lighter or more compact.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:35 PM   #5

Glenn-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The Canon SX-20, Panasonic FZ-35, and Sony HX-1 are all due for replacement models. Panasonic has already announced the FZ-45. Canon and Sony should not be much longer in announcing their replacement models.

So the replacement issue is one thing to be concerned about. The SX-20 is now old technology. At one time Canon dominated the super zoom camera niche. However, Panasonic has gradually taken over the market. Canon has been doing only incremental model upgrades, so the features available on the SX-20 are still somewhat behind the technology progress. That is why I would prefer the FZ-35 over the SX-20.

Oh, I tried. I ordered the SX-20 tried it, was disappointed, and returned the camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:35 PM   #6

Glenn-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

The Canon SX-20, Panasonic FZ-35, and Sony HX-1 are all due for replacement models. Panasonic has already announced the FZ-45. Canon and Sony should not be much longer in announcing their replacement models.

So the replacement issue is one thing to be concerned about. The SX-20 is now old technology. At one time Canon dominated the super zoom camera niche. However, Panasonic has gradually taken over the market. Canon has been doing only incremental model upgrades, so the features available on the SX-20 are still somewhat behind the technology progress. That is why I would prefer the FZ-35 over the SX-20.

Oh, I tried. I ordered the SX-20, tried it, was disappointed, and returned the camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:39 PM   #7

Thanks, Sarah! I don't care so much about there being replacement models available - I don't need the latest and the greatest. Hey, if I can get what I want, and get a discount because there is a newer model, it works for me! Of course, having said that, does the FZ-45 look to you to be far superior to the FZ-35?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:45 PM   #8

No Glenn-

I see the FZ-45 as only an incremental upgrade to the FZ-35. That makes the FZ-35 an especially good buy.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
No Glenn-

I see the FZ-45 as only an incremental upgrade to the FZ-35. That makes the FZ-35 an especially good buy.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah, looks like the FZ-35 is the way to go. Time to hunt down a deal. Thanks again!!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:23 PM   #10

You are very welcome, Glenn-

Sarah Joyce