Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:37 PM   #1

Default Looking for compact with good zoom

Hello folks, I'm new here. I am impressed with the knowledge you folks have around here. I would love some thoughts on my next camera.

I used to shoot a lot of film with my Canon Rebel, but as I got older, I didn't enjoy carrying around the bag with the lenses as much. My past two cameras were just basic point and shoot digital cameras.

Now, I want to get back into playing around with taking pictures more (but, of course, not with actual film). I want a camera able to go on vacation, to sporting events, nature, etc. Ideally, I'd like at least 10 megapixel (I often edit shots and blow up parts, so I want to make sure I have enough definition), an ability to zoom at least to 400mm, I like to play with macro mode, as well as panorama mode. Also, since I like taking action sports shots, no shutter lag is important. I am presuming most cameras around now with these types of features have image stabilization, so I guess that's a given?

My budget is up to $400.00. I am thinking about (and seen some discussed on these boards) Canon SX20 IS and SX210 IS, Panasonic FZ35, Samsung HG35W, Nikon CoolPix P100 and Olympus SP-800 UZ.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you folks have. Also, I saw mention of the SX20 being heavy, but you didn't mention if there were other drawbacks. Thanks again!

Last edited by GlennN; Jul 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM. Reason: Forgot another feature I think is important
GlennN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:07 PM   #2

None of the camera listed will be good for sport shooting, the shutter lag and contrast base AF is not fast enough for it.

If you want a really long zoom and good image quality, you may want to look at the fuji HS10. 720mm of zoom. But action is not it's strong suite either.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
None of the camera listed will be good for sport shooting, the shutter lag and contrast base AF is not fast enough for it.

If you want a really long zoom and good image quality, you may want to look at the fuji HS10. 720mm of zoom. But action is not it's strong suite either.
Thanks, Shoturtle! I had not run across the HS10 before. It does look interesting. From your answer, I am assuming one needs DSLR to beat shutter lag enough for good sports shooting?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:38 PM   #4

That is one of the issue, the other is a contrast base AF system on point and shoots can not keep up with action even without the shutter lag issue.

For action you will need a dslr.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:43 PM   #5

Ok, thanks much!! I can't see going back to SLR. I am getting lazy in my old age. I think I'll be better off compromising and buying a camera I'll actually use. So, considering the factors I mentioned above, the HS10 would seem like the best fit in your opinion? It looks like the FZ-35 gets love here - other than the obvious extra zoom, is the HS10 preferable to the FZ-35?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:45 PM   #6

They are both good, but the FZ35 is getting replace, Panasonic just announces the FZ40 and FZ100 to to replace it.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:01 PM   #7

Have a peek at the images from the H-10 in the Fujifilm. It's an amazing camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote