Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:37 PM   #1

Default looking for megazoom

Hello,

I am looking for advice on buying a megazoom. I have already purchased the Olympus sp800 and am ok with it but think it it is not as user friendly as I would like. I was thinking of returning it and getting either the Kodak z981 or the olympus sp590. I am using the camera to take pictures of my family as well as attempting some nature shots at the lake where our cottage is. Would appreciate any advice available. I am limited on budget of about $250 which I know I can get these cameras for currently at the local big box stores.
edenbeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:42 PM   #2

edenbeachman-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Most users have found the Olympus SP-800 rather difficult to work with and are, generally speaking, not happy with the camera. The SP-590 is another choice, but it is very prone to noise at any ISO setting above ISO 400. The Kodak Z-981 has received very mixed reviews.

It appears that you are looking for the greatest possible amount of zoom. Unfortunately, those high zoom cameras, in the under $270 price range do rather poorly in the image quality department.

The Panasonic FZ-35, Canon SX-20 and Fuji HS-10 are higher priced and the do have very good image quality. The best bang of the buck right now is the Kodak Z-950 with 10X optical zoom, and HD video and you can zoom while filming video. It is selling for $110.95 at www.amazon.com.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:47 PM   #3

Default thanks!

Thanks Sarah - Perhaps I should just go the cheaper route with the z950 and save my pennies for a true high quality megazoom.
edenbeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:11 PM   #4

That is what I have done, edenbeachman-

At that price I bought two Z-950 cameras for the family (5 members) and everyone is thrilled with the performance of the Z-950.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenbeachman View Post
Thanks Sarah - Perhaps I should just go the cheaper route with the z950 and save my pennies for a true high quality megazoom.
mtclimber recommended me Z950 i ordered it from amazom for $111.95 getting it on Monday.. Can't wait for it! It is going to be a huge upgrade from my crappy Sony W180.
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 4:10 AM   #6

Hi All.

First of all thanks to all of you for putting together a great forum - just joined (i'm an absolute photo newbie !!) and am enjoying reading all the posts.

edenbeachman - thought you may want to know that the Panasonic FZ100 is out now - I bought one this afternoon. I live in Hong Kong so not sure where else it is available at the moment.

I was after a megazoom also and seeing the FZ35 gets a great rap on the forum I thought I'd take my chances with the newer model. Video is very important to me also and this model seems to do nicely in that department.

Cheers,

Dean
deang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:49 PM   #7

Dean-

Congratulations on your purchase of the FZ-100. That is the first purchase that I have learned of yet. I am sure you will enjoy the camera a lot.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:31 PM   #8

Hi Sarah.

Thanks. After reading some of the threads and becoming aware the FZ100 was due to be released I emailed Panasonic Wednesday and asked if they had an ETA on the camera release and they said the next day. The shop they suggested to buy it in hadn't put them on the shelves yet.

I have had a Panasonic TZ7 for a couple of years and wanted to try something a bit different but not go the whole way with a DSLR - a megazoom seemed like a good inbetween camera.

I have read a fair few + & - on forums about these types of cameras regarding IQ etc and was starting to get confused. I then looked at some of the images people were posting from the FZ35 and the HS10 and thought these shots are a universe away from what I could produce that any of these cameras would be fine for me !

I think as a absolute novice it's easy to get caught up in indepth analysis of cameras when deciding which one to buy that you forget your own skill level will lag way behind the cameras shortcomings - this is true for me anyway.

I really have no idea about photography and basically have only taken photos while on vacation or at parties etc. I think moving from Australia to Hong Kong a year ago has really sparked my interest in learning to take a better photograph - you just see so many new and different things everyday.

Anyway, will be looking to read more and understand my camera more by taking heaps of photos.

Thanks again for a great place to learn !!

Cheers,

Dean
deang001 is offline   Reply With Quote