Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:54 PM   #1

Default First DSLR and lens help please

Hi everyone. I've finally decided to make the leap from the P&S to a DSLR and decided to get either a Canon 450D or 500D. However I am stumped which of the following to go for:

1) body only + my choice of lens (leaning more towards this)
2) singles kit + choice of lens (confused what the 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 lens really is for and if I will really need it in the long run)

My budget is $800 - $1K. I like to shoot photos of my kids mostly, portraits, family vacations and scenic views. If I can't afford 2 lenses, I am willing to get the one for the kids shots/portraits first then get the next ones after a couple of months.

Do I go for the Canon nifty-fifty or a Tamron 17-50 2.8 (I gathered this info from reading reviews and forum messages) or something else? What should be in my list of lens purchases?

Your suggestions will be most appreciated.

Cheers.
Crikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:59 PM   #2

The unstabilized version of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is an excellent lens. It's good for indoor, low light shooting, and paired with the high ISO capabilities of the 500D, it should work well. That may bust your budget, but if not, that will be a winning combination.

If you plan on getting a flash anyway, the Canon 18-55 IS kit lens is quite good and reasonably priced, and you can save some money by getting the 450D instead.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The unstabilized version of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is an excellent lens. It's good for indoor, low light shooting, and paired with the high ISO capabilities of the 500D, it should work well. That may bust your budget, but if not, that will be a winning combination.

If you plan on getting a flash anyway, the Canon 18-55 IS kit lens is quite good and reasonably priced, and you can save some money by getting the 450D instead.
Thank you so much for your ideas. I'm quite confused with the general purpose of the 18-55 lens. Would this suit outdoor/vacation type photos?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:19 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Get the kit lens. They practically give it away free. The first generation Canon kit lens was not terribly good, but this 3rd generation lens is really of good optical quality and has a good IS system and incredibly good value for money.

If you are not sure which lens to buy (as you are not at this time) then get the kit lens and reconsider your options in 6-12 months once you are more comfortable with your new camera.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 5:40 AM   #5

Thanks heaps.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crikey View Post
Thank you so much for your ideas. I'm quite confused with the general purpose of the 18-55 lens. Would this suit outdoor/vacation type photos?
Yes, but the Canon 18-55 kit lens is not as good for indoor or low light shooting as the Tamron. You mentioned it so I went with it. As peripatetic says, the 18-55 is quite a good lens, and if you won't be shooting indoors much, or you'll be using an external flash, then there's not much reason to get the Tamron instead.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote