Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:57 PM   #1

Default DSLR vs P&S

Hello all and thanks for the invitation!

I am a hobbyist who has never taken a class, never read a book on photography and who loves taking pictures. And I loved my 1987 Canon EOS, may it rest in peace.

I now have a decent Sony P&S which I purchased three years ago in the range of $300. I usually take pictures outdoors, indoors only to commemorate parties. I am satisfied with the picture quality but I'd like more versatility.

Until recently, I thought I'd buy an entry level DSLR. However, a friend turned me on to her sexy ZS7 and I have been reading reviews on it compared to the HX5 and TL350 ever since.

1. Will I be happy operating a (good) P&S compared to a DSLR? Will the P&S meet my need for creativity, e.g., shutter and aperture adjustments, etc? Is a DSLR much easier to make those adjustments on the fly? I backpack and obviously a P&S would be much easier to carry.

2. If my indoor shots are primarily family stuff, will it matter ZS7 vs HX5?

3. I suspect that it's Lexus vs. Infinity when it comes to ZS7 vs. HX5 vs TL350. Am I right?

Thanks for your thoughts. I look forward to your guidance.
K9XOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:16 PM   #2

K9XOX-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

While I also shoot with DSLR cameras, I also like P+S cameras a lot as well. The ZS7 does very well indeed with outdoor photos. However, when you take it indoors and have to use the built-in flash, you quickly become aware of the fact that the Panasonic ZS7 has a very short Flash Range. Its just about 6 feet.

That is the issue that makes me shy away from the Panasonic ZS7 when it comes to indoor photos, which are certainly below par, with only just fair image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:18 PM   #3

If image quality is important and longer indoor distance shots are in your future, I would look for an entry level DSLR that controls noise up to at least ISO 1600. I am biased toward the Sony brand in this case.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:06 PM   #4

If you have any lenses from your old eos, they will work on a canon dslr.

But if you shoot in low light, or action. You will be better off with a dslr. As the point and shoot cameras all have shutter lag with their AF system. And most point and shoot are not good pass 800iso, which is the same as 800asa.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:16 PM   #5

K9xox, as a lover of dog(s), I find myself shooting my dog a lot, as well as an almost two-year old granddaughter, both of which have the propensity to move quickly and change directions without notice. Even a "cheap" DSLR will run circles around a P&S when shooting action. Not to mention depth of field capabilities -oh I did mention that! Just my .02. Thank you...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:39 AM   #6

P&S are easy to carry easy to use and in the right conditions they do a good job.
DSLR is more bulky to carry around but it will out perform a P&S. I have kept my canon A640 as I can still see times when all want is to take a small camera with me, so maybe the answer you need is keep the sony and get a DSLR. I am off to Florida next month so I will see what it is like to carry a 550d around the parks all day
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:58 AM   #7

Thanks all.
I was hoping for a "I'm sure you'll be happy with a P&S" and it's just not that simple!!

I appreciate the input and look forward to learning from ya'll.
K9XOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:08 AM   #8

Just one word to the wise -- if you decide to get a dSLR because of its good performance in low light, get a good lens. A dSLR with a kit lens that tops out a f/4 to 5.6 is not a lot better than a bright P&S. Get a good prime that will go brighter than f/2 as the lens you default to indoors. There are lots of good prime lenses in the "standard focal length" range for any manufacturer's dSLRs, and they are mostly quite reasonably priced.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:27 AM   #9

K9XOX-

As you can already see. A lot of us shoot with either a P+S or a DSLR as the situation demands. Each has it own purpose and use.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote