Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:36 PM   #1

Default Panasonic GH1 questions....

Unfortunately, I cannot afford the D90, so it is out of the race. I have decided to buy the Panasonic gh1. I came to this conclusion because of my budget. I would have prefered to get the D90; but it is out of my budget.
I can get the GH1 with the HD lens for under $1000 new. I am only looking to buy new cameras.
My question is the following:
The GH1 will be able to take higher quality pictures than any of the Super zooms, right? I ask because I gave my wife me Fuji Hs10; so I know and I can use it as a point of reference.
I am not a professional photographer, but I like to take great pictures. I know that the D90 is faster and probably take better pics than the GH1, but will the GH1 be a good all around camera? For travelling, outdoor, indoors, video, etc..
Just let me know your opinions, please do not tell me that the Nikon is much better, i already know that( I cannot afford it). I just want to know if the GH1 will be a good overall camera that can take great pictures.
Thanks in advance.
vsanzbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:18 PM   #2

u can buy a canon 500d or pentax k-x.that will cost u less as well as u will get better iq.they have larger imager than gh1
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 2:48 PM   #3

But with lenses they are out of my budget. For leess than $1000. The Gh1 with the 14-140mm is a great deal in my opinion. The Canon with a comparable lens will run around $1400. Right now i am looking for one lens that I can take almost anywhere. I know that I will have to sacrifice some IQ.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:07 PM   #4

bh photo is selling canon 500d at 584 bucks.a canon 18-200mm IS lens costs another 575.or u can also consider sigma 18-200mm dc os which costs only 369$.panasonics 2x crop factor makes 14-140 like 28-280 .but canons has an equivalent range of 28-320.it has more reach.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:26 PM   #5

or u can also consider the sigma 18-250mm for only 479 bucks.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:59 PM   #6

vsanzbajo-

I seriously think that your are quickly painting yourself in to a corner, and due to the lure of price. That is sad. The GH1 will NOT give you the image quality nor high ISO capability that you can find on the Pentax Kx, the Canon 500D, or even a comparable Sony A-550. if you like the D-90 but feel that it is too expensive, buy the D-5000 model.

You want a single lens solution. That is easily attainable with a Tamron 18-250mm lens. The Pentax and the Sony both have in body IS making that a viable route for you. www.keh.com had three used Tamron 18-250mm lenses available last week around the $350 price level. The same is true for the Sony version, used lenses for that camera are on E-Bay. The 18-250mm lens on an APC-C imager camera equals 375mm of telescopic reach. that Panasonic lens only goes out to 280mm! The Tamron lens has almost 100mm more reach.

Friend, I sincerely believe that you are setting yourself up for big time disappointment.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:46 PM   #7

My problem is that I lost my job, and I cannot justify expending the money that the Nikon D90 + lens costs. I Had a Nikon D300 that I sold to pay bills. I thought the D90 would be good enough for me, but I just cannot buy without feeling guilty about the price. My thought is that for the price the GH1 is great.
The reason why I am thinking about buying the GH1 is because a very good friend of mine got it as a birthday present from his parents. But he loves his D80 and does not want to change. So he is selling it to me, if I want it. $800 for the whole kit.
That is why I ask if the GH1 is a decent camera. In any other case I would probably not consider buying it. 1 camera is better than no camera.
Another choice could be the Canon T21. What do you guys think about the Canon, compared to the GH1?
That is my dilemma.....

Last edited by vsanzbajo; Jul 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:59 PM   #8

The GH1 is an excellent camera, and the 14-140mm HD is a great lens and it is a great video lens on top of that. And by itself it is 800 dollars. If you do not take allot of low light, the IQ of the GH1's sensor is actually better then the nikon or canon sensors. But if you do shoot in low light needing anything above 800iso. The panasonic sensor do fall off compare to the APS-c sensor.

If you want a high quality glass with good camera. Your friend's GH1 is a great deal. As you hit the nail on the head, the kit lenses with a 550d, d90, kx are not as good as the GH1's lens. And would add additional cost. If you can live with not a great lens like the 14-140mm HD, the pentax k-x with a 2 lens kit. With the 18-55mm and 55-300mm is the same price at 800 dollars at Adorama and BH and amazon.