Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:15 AM   #11

and in canon's website it showed that the 25 mm extension tube works with 70-300mm DO USM lens....but there was no sign of 70-300mm IS USM...why?
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:15 AM   #12

Extension tubes work on all lenses.

The sets of extension tubes are a good idea but swapping tubes can be cumbersome, especially outdoors.

There are some extension tube sets that are selling for ridiculously low prices. You should avoid these. They are poorly made, aren't very secure, and leak light.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:20 AM   #13

As Tcav said, the tubes work for all lenses. I would get the canon ones, or the kenko as you well have Auto Focus. With the 70-300mm I would go with the 25mm, it will do a much better job with macro
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
As Tcav said, the tubes work for all lenses. I would get the canon ones, or the kenko as you well have Auto Focus. With the 70-300mm I would go with the 25mm, it will do a much better job with macro

How do you know what tube to go for? Is there a formula of some kind?
Ishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:26 AM   #15

yeah i studied a little about them for a while...i came to know that 25 mm is good for telephoto lenses while the 12mm one suits better with the wide angle ones.is that correct? i also found out in some sites that they creates problem while focusing.i dont know why.i think im going to buy the canon one.maybe 25mm for now.then i can save some cash and later can buy a true macro lens
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:08 PM   #16

pretty much, if you put a 25mm on a short lens, you have absolutely no working distance. So you will want a short tube for short lenses. Since the 70-300mm has a large min focus distance, with a long tube you can shorting it a decent amount and still have good working distance.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:35 PM   #17

do it right and do it once - 70-300IS is $530 and 60mm macro is $409 from b&h
60mm is a great little very versatile lens, which makes a macro, portrait and landscape lens in one go. it's a great fun to use it as well.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:36 PM   #18

thanks again this morning i didnt even know such thing named extension tube existed
i met two more strangers today while surfing.pretty curious about them.the first one is Canon life size converter and loupe? what are these?whats their use?they look like an expension tube.
Second one is lensbaby optics.i have no idea what are they for.i was in dpreview and saw a challenge named lensbaby,weird! then i went through some of the pics....they were just amazing...so beautiful!! composer,control freak,muse...there are 3 of them.do they work alone?or do i have to attach my lens to it?
finally im really sorry for too many questions cant suppress the curiosity thing
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:38 PM   #19

yeah algold,ur right....but not i can not afford both of them at this moment so confining this student life is
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:45 PM   #20

There is no way to know ahead of time how an extension tube will affect a lens of a specific length. The results depend on how the light leaves the lens, and that's different for each lens. I used to like using a 15mm tube on my 70-210/4.0 zoom and a 25mm tube on my 50/1.7. When I'd stack them on the zoom, things didn't change much, but stacked on the 50 greatly increased the magnification.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote