Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Geeeeeeeeeeezzzzz... What's so much fun about comparing numbers? Mathematically and aerodynamically speaking, a common bumblebee supposedly is incapable of flight. But, yet...

The OP gets his first DSLR and the numbers fly to "prove a point"? It's the "Chevy vs Ford" game alllll over again!

Thunderchild, enjoy your DSLR! Get a Raynox and have some fun. THAT'S what it's all about. Not number crunching to decide if a lens is going to work. Buy the lens that is within your budget. If it doesn't work, sell it. Save up til you can get the one that DOES trip your trigger. But, above all... HAVE FUN! If it works for you, so much the better.
Thanks, thats generally the purpose at the moment. To just have some fun and learn how to take photos with a dSLR. If I out grow the camera in 1-2 years then for the price I think I will have had value for 209 ($321).

By the way I am a She
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:47 AM   #22

well, it's all started with a blank statement that it would be tough to shoot macro with Olympus cameras, which is not exactly true and it's not tougher than with any other camera system.
Thunderchild, forget all this nonsense , twist your hubby's arms and get yourself a nice little Oly, if/when you outgrow it, you can always sell it and move to something else. Most important thing - have fun and enjoy photography, it's a wonderful hobby.
cheers,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:43 AM   #23

Perhaps my intention was misunderstood.

Let me start again.

There are better tools for what you want to do, and price shouldn't be the only criterion by which you select a dSLR.

There. I don't think anyone will disagree with that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by algold View Post
well, it's all started with a blank statement that it would be tough to shoot macro with Olympus cameras, which is not exactly true and it's not tougher than with any other camera system.
Thunderchild, forget all this nonsense , twist your hubby's arms and get yourself a nice little Oly, if/when you outgrow it, you can always sell it and move to something else. Most important thing - have fun and enjoy photography, it's a wonderful hobby.
cheers,
Alex
Amen, Alex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Perhaps my intention was misunderstood.

Let me start again.

There are better tools for what you want to do, and price shouldn't be the only criterion by which you select a dSLR.

There. I don't think anyone will disagree with that.
Why are you attempting to make your criteria her criteria? By what you say, you are implying it won't do the job at all. Just let it go, TCav. You're a very intelligent guy and you've made your point. Just let it go and let Thunderchild enjoy the camera by HER criteria. If she comes back whining, then you can say, "I told you so".
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
... I don't think anyone will disagree with that.
Apparently, I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Why are you attempting to make your criteria her criteria?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
... I have found them new with the 14-42mm lens for 209 delivered which is in my price range. ...
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:52 AM   #26

Now now guys, don't make me come down there!!!

My main criteria yes is price, but it does not matter what the camera can or cant do at the moment as I don't know how to make it do it anyway!!!

I will have fun learning what it can and cant do and if I can get vaguely close to any of the wonderful photos posted here I will be more than happy. This is never going to be more than a hobby anyway.

I thank all of you for your comments and will no doubt be back to pick your brains. And yes I managed to twist hubbies arm and he did buy it me, in fact it has just arrived at work and will have a looksee at lunchtime. Although technically my Christmas present I am sure I can twist his arm again to let me have it now! So watch this space for some upcoming dodgy but improving pictures!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:54 AM   #27

Good luck with it! ... and come back and post some of your photos!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:34 AM   #28

It did not take you long , congratulations on your new toys, charge the battery, read the manual and have lots of fun!
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Now now guys, don't make me come down there!!!
My sincere apology for my part in the fiasco. I'm embarassed about how the thread ended up and my part in giving more life to the dog and pony show.

Quote:
I thank all of you for your comments and will no doubt be back to pick your brains. And yes I managed to twist hubbies arm and he did buy it me, in fact it has just arrived at work and will have a looksee at lunchtime. Although technically my Christmas present I am sure I can twist his arm again to let me have it now! So watch this space for some upcoming dodgy but improving pictures!
I'd like personally invite you to the Olympus DSLR forum. The rest of the folks there are really much nicer than I am, are truely great photographers, and are always willing to help with encouragement and advise.

Have a great time with the new toy and don't be afraid of using it.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:02 AM   #30

Is that the section on here or a different forum? I want as many brains to pick as i can!

Its funny how what was a simple question turned into a huge debate. I am sure someone got something from it. To be honest, I got completely lost but I will understand it all one day!

Olympus E420, 17.5-45mm, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm and 25mm lens

Kodak Z950