Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:38 AM   #1

Default Nikon for the school

I lucked into a great deal on a couple of lenses that I am selling and want to use the profits to buy a new Nikon body for the High School. (to be given as a lodge donation)

With the prices I am seeing on the remaining lens I am guessing I will have between $800 to $900 to play with. I know nothing about Nikon and would appreciate any advice on how to spend the money wisely to get them the most bang for the bucks.

here is what they currently have. The have a Nikon DSLR maybe four years old. They have a short zoom and a long zoom that were most likely kit lenses that came with the body. They have a fixed focus with macro that is used for year book shots (70mm Sigma) and a 2x teleconverter.

Any thoughts? I would still not know which body to purchase but I was thinking if I bought one of last years overstocks somewhere I might have enough left over for a flash.

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Jul 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:38 PM   #2

I'd suggest the D90. It's a fine camera. The less expensive D5000 and D3000 are ok, but they may not work with the lenses you've got, and I know thaey won't work with the Sigma 70mm macro. It would be a shame to get them a new camera that they can't use to take the yearbook photos with.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:30 PM   #3

Here comes the first of the dumb questions. Why would there be a lens compatibility issue? I did see over at the Nikon site where some are listed as a DX format and others are FX.

There are full frame and then crop bodies obviously but are the mounts different?

Steve

I agree with you 100% TCav. To Quote Mel Brooks it would "Stink on Ice" to get a body that could not use the lenses they have now.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:33 PM   #4

the autofocus capabilities would be the issue.

better than my yearbook, we had like 3 old xsi's with short kit lenses....
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:10 PM   #5

For years, Nikon film and digital AF SLRs contained an AF motor that was used to drive the focus mechanism in AF lenses. A couple of years ago, Nikon decided to not put that motor in its lower level dSLR bodies. Some of Nikons lenses, and some third party lenses had their own AF motors, but most didn't, so Nikon and others had to come up with lenses that had their own motors, so they could be used on those bodies.

Those original bodies were the D40, D40X, and the D60. Their successors are the D3000 and the D5000. From what you say, at least one of the lenses the school has, won't AF on one of the current lower level dSLRs. In order to maintain the complete functionality of all their existing equipment, you should avoid the D3000 and D5000. The D90 is the least expensive Nikon dSLR that is fuilly compatible with the gear the school already has.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:40 PM   #6

Thank you for explaining it to me. I am a Nikon idiot when it comes to models and features. Nikon makes great gear but I did not look there when shopping for myself as I had lenses for another brand. Looks like the school is going to be getting a new D90

I am listing the Bigma for the Minolta mount on Monday so I should be able to order the Monday after that. I have been checking prices so anything over about $675 for the Bigma and I will be in good shape.

pbjunkie: This school has what they have now due to a donation a few years ago. The AG program is the one that gets all of the interest so AV is on their own. The district is more likely to buy soccer balls than cameras and I do not think there is a soccer field in a 100 mile radius.

We do what we can

Thanks again

Steve