Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Default Nikon D90 or Canon Rebel T2i?

After you guys convinced me not to get the GH1. Now my dilemma is D90 or Canon T2i.
What do you guys think?
I will be using the camera for travel, indoors, outdoor, sports. Which one has better IQ, low light and speed.
I can get both at the same price, and same lens kit.
Thanks in advance
vsanzbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:16 AM   #2

Both cameras are very evenly match on the photo side of the coin. It is on the HD video that the T2i has the edge.

Also the T2i is smaller then the D90, so that my play in it's favor in the travel.

Both are good in low light, the T2i goes up to 12800iso, but you will need to run it through a NR program like Topaz de noise to clean it up. And it becomes very usable. The D90 shoots upto 6400iso.

The nikon has a slightly faster burst rate then the canon. But they are both good for action shooting.

Both can use the full nikon or canon lens line up. But neither kit lenses are as good as the panny 14-140mm that was on the GH1. But they are good kit lenses.

I would go down and try out the d90 and T2i to see how you like them. You might like the nikon layout a bit better as your are familiar with their layout with the d300.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:56 AM   #3

PS

The GH1 is a good camera, but if it is a good tool for you. It depends on what you shoot. And with sport it is not the right tool.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:42 AM   #4

What sports do you want to shoot?

As shoturtle said, the D90 and the T2i are evenly matched for shooting stills. The distinction comes from the available lenses more than anything else. For shooting indoor sports, Nikon has the 85/1.8 which performs well, but Canon has the 85/1.8, 100/2.0, and 135/2.0. Nikon has large aperture lenses in those focal lengths, but they're Defocus Control lenses, so they'e not much good for shooting sports.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote