Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:48 PM   #1

Default told you I was a Nikon idiot

I met with the school and their Nikon body (still no paper so still do not know what body) is out for repair. The kit lenses are in bad shape to say the least but the 70mm Sigma they were using for yearbook is mint. (had to focus manually)

Here is the deal. A four year old body out for repair (repair cost will be more than the value) and two kit lenses that have seen their best days are not worth matching with a new body. Maybe match the new Sigma with a new Nikon kit. Or sell the Sigma to add to the purchase fund?

for $1,000 (plus or minus the price of the Sigma 70) What would you buy if your group were making the donation?

If the body were a Minolta mount I could donate a 50 f/1.7 out of my stock but the Sony would never hold up doing the outdoor stuff. Someone on the Pentax forum talked about taking one into a shower.

Is there a middle ground? The kids could raise a hundred and I could pass the hat for the same but would rather save that if not necessary.

I am open to any and all suggestions and I value the advice.

Steve

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Aug 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:07 PM   #2

d90 and like a sigma 24-70

and sell the sigma 70
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:09 PM   #3

Need to decide on a system, the pentax has some WR lenses, but currently has only 1 WR body in the K-7. The canon and nikon WR bodies are really expensive in the d300 and 7d, and the lenses are pretty expensive also with WR.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:13 PM   #4

If you want to get the kids a heavy duty body, the canon 50d is a metal body, and will take some punishment and is water resistance, but the WR lenses are expensive.

But the k7 with the 50-200mm WR would stand up in the outdoors with the rain also. And will be less then the canon 50d with a 70-200mm f4L. With the pentax and the 24-70mm PJ suggested. It will cover everything except for wide. But you can add the da 18-55 WR and you will have the outdoor roughing handling and wide angle covered.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:50 PM   #5

If the Sigma 70 that they have, was manual focus on the body that's out for repair, then that body is probably a D40/D40X/D60. The D3000/D5000 would be a current equivalent, and it would let them use the lenses they've got (though the Sigma 70 still wouldn't AF.)

You didn't list the other lenses, and even if they look a little worn, they probably still work well, but I'd get the kit 18-55 VR lens (it's better, and it's stabilized) and a Tamron 70-300 Di LD (with the built-in motor.)

Most of the time, when you sell something, you get less than it's worth, so selling the school's existing stock of lenses probably won't net you much, and they will probably be worth more to the school than you'd get for them. I'd stick with Nikon for exactly that reason.

The D3000 with the 18-55 VR kit lens is $550.
The D5000 with the 18-55 VR kit lens is $700.
The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is $165.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:30 AM   #6

If I were doing it, I would seriously consider buying a Nikon-refurbished D5000 with the 18-55mm VR kit lens (on sale now and often for $520 from Adorama) and a Nikon refurbished 70-300mm VR lens (on sale now for $400 from Adorama.) Whatever the condition of the rest of the lenses, you would get an awful lot of what they would want out of that kit by itself. They might want a brighter lens or two at some point for indoor or nighttime sports, but you aren't going to fit a lens like that into this budget anyway.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:22 AM   #7

If you can go the refurbished route, I agree with tclune. But you lose the manufacturer's warranty, and only get a 90 day store warranty.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you can go the refurbished route, I agree with tclune. But you lose the manufacturer's warranty, and only get a 90 day store warranty.
Actually, AIUI, it is a Nikon 90-day warranty on Nikon-refurbished items. But perhaps the more important thing is that these things aren't grey market, so you can always avail yourself of Nikon service over the long haul.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:07 PM   #9

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. It is nice to find a group where people I have never met are willing to take their time to help.

I am meeting Friday with the person taking over as faculty adviser so I should have an idea of what they have and the repair status of the body they had. I find the schools lack of information about equipment they own a bit disturbing but in their defense this seems to be the first year any real effort will be put forth. The young woman that did most of the shots last year used personal equipment so they were well into the second semester before anyone realized the Nikon had stopped working.

Once we know for certain the status of the other body there should be more to go on. It is tough to pick a direction with so many unknowns but all of the information should be forthcoming. They know the documentation exists just not where it might be hiding.

Should anything they have now is still serviceable then staying with Nikon is probably the best bet but not a given by any means. The student last year had Cannon and the teacher taking over as adviser also shoots with Cannon so staying with one brand seems a good idea.

I will post more when I have more information. I am going to give the new adviser the link to here and encourage her to post directly.

Thank you again for your time and thoughts

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
... They know the documentation exists just not where it might be hiding. ...
Most of Nikon's documentation is available at their website: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...ls/r_id/116678