Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:45 PM   #1

Default Compact Digital w/HD Video

Hi guys,

I just registered with the forum, and it looks like there's a bunch of knowledgeable people here - who I hope might help me in selecting a compact digicam! I'm looking at around a $400 max new price.

I'm not an active photographer at all, and I find that I just have too little knowledge of camera specs to make an informed decision. I do know that it should be a compact camera (Panasonic FZ100/FZ45 are too bulky, but the Sony HX5V looks OK - correct me if I'm way off here), and I also want 720p or better video recording.

The camera will be used indoors and outdoors equally. I will use it a good deal for closeup photos of objects indoors, but otherwise I'm your average holiday photographer. Good optical zoom is great, but I don't need a gazillion X if that compromises image quality.

I see that some cameras come equipped with GPS geotagging and WiFi transfer capability. Both those features are neat, but not a requirement for me - certainly not at the expense of image quality. Still, they are neat... :-)

Other than that I just want to find the camera that takes the best pictures. It doesn't need to be super slim, I like the semi-compact look of the Sony HX5V too.

These are some cameras that seem to me to fit the bill:
Samsung HZ35W
Samsung TL350 (only digital zoom?)
Most of the Panasonic Lumix range
Sony HX5V + TX series
Nikon Coolpix S8000
Canon Powershot SX210/200 IS

Any advice is greatly appreciated! If there's some crucial info I've left out, please let me know!
sparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Zoo

Hey, it seems we both registered to ask similar questions. I am looking at about the same cameras although I lean a bit more towards the Lumix after my initial research. But maybe the members here will direct me to better options I have not considered yet. I also wonder if I should wait until the end of this month for the LX5 and the FX700. Both have specs that could match our needs nicely if they perform as expected! (although the LX5 might be beyond your budget)

Since you mentioned the Sony HX5V, I decided to exclude it after watching these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSaMdCZpE74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51ctGFW_1T8
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:03 AM   #3

That's certainly compelling! Pretty much rules out the Sony for me, which is less compact than I'd ideally like anyway. Thank you!

I also need to read up on the forthcoming Lumix cameras, and I will trawl Youtube and Google for reviews on the rest of the bunch!
sparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:49 AM   #4
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparke View Post
That's certainly compelling! Pretty much rules out the Sony for me, which is less compact than I'd ideally like anyway. Thank you!
No problem, but you should keep in mind that the Sony was compared with cameras that are slightly bigger. A camera which is more compact than the Sony might not offer that advantage. (maybe the FX700 will)
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote