Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Zoo

Default Best compact (pocketable) camera for HD video

Hello,

I am looking for a good compact camera that can produce nice photos and also nice video.

Which compact (pocketable) camera (up to $500) can take the best HD (720p or better) video? By "best" I mean best video quality (including low light conditions), with both zoom and stabilization working nicely while recording video and a decent sound (preferably stereo). And it should be able to record at least 10 minute clips.
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:43 PM   #2
Zoo

Which one of the following produces better video:
Lumix ZS7 (TZ10)
PowerShot SD4000 IS (IXUS 300 HS)
Powershot SX210 IS
Samsung TL350 (WB2000)

Or should I wait for the LX5 or the FX700?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

if video is really of paramount importance. why not look to some of the nicer HD video camcorders.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Zoo

video and IQ are of equal importance.

It is easy to judge the IQ of the cameras by visiting the review sites which have side by side comparison of images taken under identical conditions.

I found very few sites that did video comparisons of all the above cameras under identical conditions and none that would do so by utilizing all the things that are important for video, such as zoom and image stabilization.

Also, pocketability is of paramount importance. It seems that pocket camcorders can not produce good pictures, and even their video is not as great as some of the compact cameras. If I am wrong in this please let me know and make suggestions.

Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:34 AM   #5

I was more than satisfied with the quality of the ZS7 Video and VERY happy with IQ of pictures...it is an impressing camera and video...what I like about taking video was the 3" LCD was clear and the zoom worked very slowly and precisely without overrunning the subject and not pulling back too fast...also the stabilization was excellent...this was an outdoor video under a porch roof where wth lighting wasn't optimal but better than indoors...I have not shot any video indoors so that might be the challenge with the CCD sensor?
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:27 PM   #6
Zoo

Thanks LTZ. Is the video produced by ZS7 better than that of ZS5 (apart from the different encoding).

Based on the reviews from PCWorld, the Powershot SX210 IS has better video than ZS5 especially in low light:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ..._sx210_is.html
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ...ix_dmczs5.html

Also another review claims:

Quote:
Even video quality surpassed Canon, but that's just in bright light. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7's AVCHD Lite looked amazing, though the camera could not shoot in low light at all. The Canon PowerShot SX210 IS could shoot low light and its zoom was much smoother. This is a shame, because the Lumix DMC-ZS7 gave us the best HD video performance from a compact in this class. If Panasonic would fix the low light issue, the Lumix DMC-ZS7 would have obliterated the competition.
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...zs7/10983.html

Could the Canon cameras be better overall (day/night) for HD video?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:32 PM   #7

Yes, the Canon SX-210 has been reported by a few critics to have better low light video. However, still photos with the SX-210 are very softly focused, as I would imagine the video is as well. The SX-210 does not get any gold stars for image quality.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:58 PM   #8
Zoo

Here is the comment from the PCWorld group review:

Quote:
In our first-ever video tests for point-and-shoot cameras, the Canon PowerShot SX210 IS earned the top overall score for video, thanks to the smooth, vibrant footage it shot in bright light and its admirable video quality in our low-light tests. Hot on its heels was the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5, which received high marks for its smooth, sharp footage; that model also has a quiet, video-friendly zoom lens and a fast autofocus.
Here are the videos from all the cameras they reviewed:

Bright Light: http://www.pcworld.com/misc/20100614...d_faceoff1.htm
Low Light: http://www.pcworld.com/misc/20100614...d_faceoff2.htm

After a close examination of those videos it seems that the conclusion of infosyncworld (in the quote I gave in my earlier post) are correct. The Panasonic can do the best Bright Light video, but in low light the Canon is much better.

The zs7 has more features so I think I prefer it from the SX-210.

But I don't need the long zoom, so can any other compact pocketable camera beat the zs7 in both IQ and video quality?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Zoo

One question about the zs7: Is it possible to adjust the exposure or other settings to make video brighter in low light?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
One question about the zs7: Is it possible to adjust the exposure or other settings to make video brighter in low light?
Yes it can record in IA and chooses between four settings on it's own dependant upon lighting conditions...it can record in SCN Mode which you select the scene setting...

Also you can preset the Aperture, Saturation, NR, Sharpness, and Contrast in P, A, S, M, MS modes and record video...

It does a very nice job also even indoors if the lighting is decent....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote