Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:26 PM   #1

Default Point and Shoot the old-fashioned way

I would like to find a compact digital camera with not real high megapixels and no extras like video. I want it to be the kind where you can hold the camera up to your face and peek through the viewfinder to take the picture. I do not care if it has an LED or not; I just don't want to re-learn how to take pictures.

I am pretty partial to Olympus because that is the only kind of digital camera I have had, an old 1.3 megapixel : ) and I would want something without the several-second delay between shooting and snapping!

The hard part is, I would prefer not to buy a second-hand camera.

Any clues out there? I have been browsing! Thanks ~!

ps I just found this forum so haven't browsed in here yet.
Alice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2010, 1:34 PM   #2

Alice-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

I won't say that your "desired camera" is impossible to find new, but it will be very difficult indeed, as those cameras date back to 2000 to 2003. You do find a number of Olympus C-3000, and C-4000 cameras on E-Bay but they are used cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:08 AM   #3

Hi Alice2,

It seems that the last hold-out company to make compact cameras with optical viewfinders (VF) is Canon.

I did some research for you and I think the best small one with an optical viewfinder that is still being sold as new is the Canon SD1200is. The SD1200is starts at $149 on amazon. Be aware that the optical VFs on compact point and shoot (P&S) cameras now are quite tiny and will not be as large and comfortable to view with as your older 1.3 MP camera’s optical VF. Also, the SD1200is has only a 3x optical zoom but that should be fine for home and party shooting.

The reasons I chose the SD1200is are:
1. Optical viewfinder (your main priority)
2. 10 MP
3. Large aperture lens at F2.8 (wide) - F4.9 (tele)
4. Small size which is what I think you’re looking for when you said “compact”

The 10MP means the pixels are larger than the 12MP and 14MP cameras since they all use about the same sized small sensors. Larger pixels means less noise in the picture. The lens starts at F2.8 which lets in more light than the cameras like the SD780 which starts at F3.2.

A minus is that the lens does not have a wide angle as many modern compact P&S cameras do now. The lens is 35mm (wide) - 105mm (tele). Wide for other cameras these days start at 24mm. So if you want a wider angle lens, then this camera is not for you. But there is not much choice for lower MP, pocketable P&S cameras with optical VFs.

Here’s a link to a review for the SD1200is:
(link would not work so you can visit digitalcamerareview dot com and do a search for SD1200)

And a link to a user’s post in the Canon forum here on steves-digicams:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...y-caution.html

I don’t have any personal experience with the SD1200is but it looks like it might be a decent “pocketable” P&S camera with an optical VF. Be sure to buy it from a dealer that allows returns without any restocking fee in case you find that the VF is too much like looking through a small tunnel (which is what it probably will be).

Sky

Last edited by skylark; Aug 3, 2010 at 5:10 AM.
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:30 PM   #4

There you have it Alice-

I apologize from having misunderstood your request as being limited to Olympus brand cameras, so I have been looking for a camera possibility for you among Olympus brand cameras.

Sky's suggestion is a good one. The Camon SD-1200 is a good little camera. But the emphasis is on "little," as the SD-1200 is a very small camera. It does have a small optical viewfinder, and it is capable of very good image quality. It can also be purchased new at www.amazon.com for $149.95. Click on this link to see a landscape photo taken with the SD-1200.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...56_feS4X-L.jpg

Here is a photo of my SD1200 to give you an idea of camera size:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...57_GrCCV-L.jpg

My search in the Olympus brand line lead me to the SP-590 which is a super zoom camera (26X optical zoom) that has an EVF (electronic viewfinder) it is also still available new. Here is a photo of the SP-590:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...73_aedyD-L.jpg

So there, Alice are two choices for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Here is a photo of my SD1200 to give you an idea of camera size:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...57_GrCCV-L.jpg

My search in the Olympus brand line lead me to the SP-590 which is a super zoom camera (26X optical zoom) that has an EVF (electronic viewfinder) it is also still available new. Here is a photo of the SP-590:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...73_aedyD-L.jpg
Sarah,

You're kidding! You have a SD1200is too? Wow, you sure own a LOT of cameras. Out of curiosity, how many cameras do you usually display when you teach a class?

I like your Oly SP-590 suggestion since the viewfinder will surely be much easier for Alice to use.

Sky
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:51 PM   #6

Sky-

Currently I have over 120 digital cameras. They range from DSLR's to common Kodaks. For my classes I usually bring as many as 6 cameras with me to each class session to demonstrate the material we are then covering.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Sky-

Currently I have over 120 digital cameras. They range from DSLR's to common Kodaks. For my classes I usually bring as many as 6 cameras with me to each class session to demonstrate the material we are then covering.

Sarah Joyce
Over 120 digital cameras!!! My mind is totally boggled. Do you need my social security number for your will? (Just kidding )

Sky
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Sky-

Sarah Joyce
Your electric bill must high charging all those batteries
Can you post a picture of all these cameras I would love to show my wife?
She thinks two cameras is one too many
As you have probably have read in some of my other posts I have a SD 800 is Canon.
Am curious if have any experience and or opinions about this camera?

120....wow!
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:38 PM   #9
Super Moderator

the sd1200 is a good compact option.

if you use the term "compact" loosely. you could also add Canons G11 to the mix too, bigger OVF, alot of manual controls with great dials to visually inspect your settings. and some of the better image quality in a compact, particularly in regards to higher ISO compared to many compacts.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...11-review.html
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:27 PM   #10

ektachrome-

I have found the Canon SX-120 to be a very good alternative giving you very good image quality, with 10X optical zoom at below $200.00. It does not have a wide angle and only had standard Video. However, those two features are not high on my priority list.

Here is a sample photo for the SX-120:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...16_GAEYQ-L.jpg

And here is an outdoor photo:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...15_rsViJ-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 3, 2010 at 11:59 PM.